Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Trouble

• Please log in to reply

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I was out of the house for a week and my desktop computer was off the whole time. Everything worked fine when I left but when i came back i tried to turn it on and before anything else starts up it says "Unable to access hard drive. Operating system not found on any devices." I have a COMPAQ Presario 5000 and it is 5 years old. I never upgraded or changed out the hard drive. There are 2 hard drive slots with their own power connection and it does the same thing in each. I would appreciate any suggestions on what i could do to fix this problem. I'll answer any further questions if necessary.

Thank you,
Chris

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Can you boot into safe mode? Do you have a bootable cd, like your windows install cd? If you do, perhaps you can boot to that and run some diagnostics. You may need to access the bios )I think my old Compaq is F12 for bios) and change the boot order to boot from cd first.

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I went to the BIOS settings and the CD/DVD drive was already the first in the boot order. I tried the recovery CD in both drives and instead of the error message all i get is a small cursor blinking in the top-left hand side of the screen, and nothing else.

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I let it sit there with the blinking cursor and 10 minutes later this came up on the screen:

"Starting Windows 98...

Microsoft RAMDrive version 3.06 virtual disk C:
Disk size: 3,072k
Sector size: 512 bytes
Allocation unit: 2 sectors
Directory entries: 64

ATAPI IDE CD-DVD device driver version V 1.23A
2 driver(s) detected
unit 1, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170
unit 2, SLAVE, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170

The following file is missing or currupted: COMMAND.COM

MODE prepare code page function completed

MODE select code page function completed
MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All Right Reserved.
Drive N: = Driver IDECD001 unit 0
Drive O: = Driver IDECD 001 unit 1"

I dont know why it says "Windows 98". I know for a fact that the recovery disk contains windows xp. Now im totally lost.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
My old compaq came with Windows ME. When I tried using the compaq "recovery" cd, I got the windows 98 stuff too. I could never figure out why I got Windows 98 when it was supposed to be Windows ME. I put Windows 2000 Pro on mine. Very strange. Are they still doing this strange stuff with their recovery CDs? I don't know but from what you describe, yes! This would be an issue to take up with Compaq/HP.

To the heart of the matter, does it boot up with the recover cd or did it crash with the errors you mentioned?

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. Well, I only get thoes errors when i use the recovery cd. If I dont use it I cant get any further than the "Unable to access..." message. I got the bootable diagnostic cd from the hard drive manufacturer but that didnt realy help either. When i run the installation scan it gives me this information:

Power Connection..........................PASSED
Interface Cable Connection............PASSED
Master/Slave Jumpers....................PASSED
BIOS Extention Support.................PASSED
Partition Information......................Read Fail

I also know that it is detecting the presence of the hard drive in the BIOS. The hard drive is a Maxtor ROMULUS DAH017KZ, if that helps. Although I would like to be able to save the drive, i really need the information off of it. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

- Chris

Edited by CBMilewski, 15 July 2006 - 07:11 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It seems the hard drive may have died. Did the diagnostics provide an option to repair the partition? You may need to replace the hd. It may be possible to install it as a secondary slave drive and recover data that way.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I had the exact same computer as you, and the hard drive that was with it literally just died after 3 years. My cousin also had this computer and her hard drive died after about 4 1/2 years. So that probably is what happened to you.

If you are going to buy a new hard drive, make sure to buy one with an IDE interface, NOT a SATA interface.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
*nods in agreement*

5 years is a nice long life for a drive though.

My current "flavor of the month" for drive brands is Hitachi. I have had great success with the brand, though your mileage may vary.......

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, I just happened to be at best buy the other day and i saw they had a sale on a seagate barracuda 120 gb drive for $50 so i grabbed it. I'll try to see if i can use it to recover anything from the old drive. Thanks for your help.

- Chris