Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Other people are logged on to this computer" during startup

• Please log in to reply

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
After posting my problem in a general forum, I was redirected here after a staff member was not familiar with a few processes in my Hijack log. I followed the malware removal and hijack log instructions, and have attached my log as a .txt file. I should note that there still exists one particular file mentioned by the previous staff member called "Lien Van de Kelder.exe", which I've learned is a 'mass-mailing worm'. It hasn't caused any noticable problems yet, but I don't want it to become something bad.

But anyways, the original problem I had was as follows:

"Every time I restart my computer, the login prompt comes up, I type in my password, it says 'Windows is starting up...' and then it just sits at the blank screen without making any progress. So I press the restart button (IBM ThinkPad R51) for a second, and then a message comes up that says:

'Other people are logged on to this computer. Shutting down Windows might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue shutting down?'

If I say No, then nothing happens and it goes back to the blank screen. If I say Yes, then my desktop comes up and everything works fine.

After browsing online I realized many people had a similar problem, but only when shutting down their computers, not starting up. I tried some of the solutions recommended for that problem, but nothing has worked. I'm the only person who uses this computer and I'm not connected to any other computers over a network, and my wireless has WEP encryption."

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Lemme know if there's any more info I can provide that would be useful.

Attached Files

Advertisements

bdfhawk

bdfhawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
also one more thing... when I ran TrojanHunter like recommended, it told me there was an error because C:\minint and C:\preboot could not be found. But both of those folders are present when I explore C, but I cannot open either of them because "Access Denied." Is there any explanation for this?