Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-RW Drive not working

• Please log in to reply

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a Sony CD-R/RW Drive unit (Model #: CRX140E) that stopped working for about a year now. It acts differently and makes very annoying sounds, different from when its trying to read a disk or burn something (like zipping sounds made continuously). Computer sometimes detects the drive and sometimes it doesn't. When I press to open the tray, sometimes it opens, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it opens very very slowly (sort of like moving then stopping, then moving, like an old man). The sound it makes comes on immediately when I turn on the computer. It got too annoying so I took it out of the computer. The CD I put in does not get read. This is an internal drive, and I have used it before (to read disks and burn things too, but not often). I'm sure the drive is broken internally, so I'm asking if anyone knows what might be the common problem and I can dissemble to to fix it, tutorials and what not. I've tried searching google but no luck so far. I just keep getting people with problems of not being able to detect the CD drive on the computer and use such and such programs to fix it.
The motor could be broken but that doesn't explain why it sometimes opens and sometimes it doesn't and why it does not read my disks.
I need to burn something now so thats why I am asking. Been using my other CD Drive since this broke.

I don't know if you need my computer specs but I guess I'll say it just in case.

Windows XP Pro
Sp1
868MHz 512mb ram
80GB Seagate HD

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The reason you don't see any cdrom repair websites is because it is too expensive to try repairing them. It is easier to buy a good CD-RW from newegg for around $20. I personally like the lite-on cd burners. You also might upgrade to a NEC DVD-RW for about $33. Backing up data is much nicer on a 4.7 gig( 4.38 real)DVD than a 700 MB cd. DVD burners also burn cd's.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827152058

SRX660