Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer somehow got slower after vacation

• Please log in to reply

jhon5

jhon5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Its gottan slower as if it were a snail in a gigantic field of cold molasses, give me a hand.

edit: attached HJT log

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jhon5...

Can you give me a little more background on the problem? Is it the Startup that's slow? Are applications opening slowly? The more information we have on the problem and any events leading up to the problem, the easier it will be to help.

wannabe1

jhon5

jhon5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well ever since I got back from vacation my computer would load pages and applications appalingly slow in the most grotesque fashion.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter? In addition to running those applications from System Tools, click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". Click "Edit" on the toolbar in the window that opens and choose "Select All". Right click on any of the highlighted files and select "Delete". It may take up to 4 reboots to repopulate this folder and startup may bit just a bit slow until it's repopulated.

Let me know if this helps.