Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sata Drive 0

• Please log in to reply

adambcohen

adambcohen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I took a friends dell 8400 dimension home because after a storm it would not power up. I found three problems with the computer. one, powersupply/two, bad memory/three the hdd (sata). Fixed the first two but having problems with the third. When I called dell's tech they said to do a system restore. All the data will be lost, I know. However; before I do that is there a way to by an external drive case and but the drive in it to get the data. Or, can I add it to another machine. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Adam Cohen

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have another computer that uses SATA its possible to take the data off the drive by adding it to the computer. The only problem i see is if the drive has lost its partition info even the other computer won't see the drive. The bios will see it but windows will not. I have not tried this with SATA drives so you may get a window where the computer wants to know if you want to dual boot with the new drive. I would stop this from happening.

SRX660

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
On my second computer my sata drive is a secondary drive. Do you think I will still have the same problem that you are talking about?
Adam

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No, you will not have that problem. I assumed that all your HD's were sata as i don't mix ide and sata HD's when i build computers.

SRX660

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, my primary is an ide and my secondary is a sata. When I bought the machine satas were not really out yet. With that said the sata pci cards has a couple of slots for me to use. I should be able to plug in and go right?
Adam Cohen

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you should be able to do that.

SRX660

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for your time and information. I will give this a try and will see what happens.
Adam Cohen :whistling: