Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help!

• Please log in to reply

computernewbie

computernewbie

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have a topic in Networking titled "Wireless Range Problem" that I really need advice or instructions on!!! My router that is connected to my PC won't reach my computer on second floor.....it reaches right to my doorway but my computer is 3 feet away and it can't reach it....All the full specifics and details are in the "Wireless Range Problem" topic

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You again! :whistling:

I had this problem at my house, too...with the machine in my daughter's room. To solve the problem, I purchased a repeater that uses household wiring to carry the signal. Plugged one unit in near the router and connected it to the router, placed the other one near her bedroom, and bingo! We have excellent wireless signal everywhere in the house.

You might also try placing the router on a high shelf to get it above wiring and plumbing installations in the walls.

wannabe1

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Just another tip... Try to keep the router away from windows and mirrors if possible. I hear that the radio waves tend to bounce if it's near them.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
What store or website can I purchase a repeater from...I like the idea of one..

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Almost any computer or electronics store has them. Radioshack, CompUSA, etc. What type of router do you have? Linksys, Netgear, etc? You might want to stick to the same brand as your router if possible.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have a D-Link router, which I found this product a wireless range extender that looks like a mini router.....But I'm not sure where it goes..

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Could you please give us a link to the product you have in mind? :whistling:

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=357 is the link....

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Try this link: http://support.dlink.....ctid=DWL-G710 Download the product manual, and see if that explains it any better... :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Oh almost forgot... What is the model of your router? We need to make sure it's compatible :whistling:

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
DI-524 is model of the router

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is the one I picked up at Staples for about $80. I've used it with Netgear, Linksys, and D-Link routers and I can vouch for it's performance on all three. I tried several "extenders" without much success, but using the repeater I have excellent signal strength anywhere in the house. Some claim it is slower than advertised, but I'm seeing consistent 54 MBS performance.

http://reviews.cnet....74.html?tag=tpr

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks alot both of you for the advice!!!

Edited by computernewbie, 09 July 2006 - 01:31 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
We're glad to see that things worked out :blink: Come back and see us if you have any more questions :whistling: