Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DX-10

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
What is DirectX-10? Is it a video card? How much will they cost? Tell me everything! Muahahahhahaha!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why dont you just google it youll get all the info you need, there should be a wiki entry for it as well i would imagine.

Direct X is basically a collection of APIs by microsoft and there partners that control how the computer interacts with hardware, current version is 9 10 is the new one each new direct X usually brings new features and improves effieciency, DX10 is the new one and it has alot of new things that are very nice, but google it youll get tonnes of info.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
So its goign to be in the new video cards?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So its goign to be in the new video cards?

The new video cards to be released by end of the year will be directx 10 compatable.. If you want to play games in directx 10 then you will need one of these new video cards and you will also need the new operating system coming out soon. The directx10 drivers are included with the new operating system..

The directx10 video cards will only be able to run dx10 on the newer dx10 supported games also...

You can play any game with a directx10 video card aswell it will automatically force the game to run in directx9 if its an older game..

Really directx10 is mainly for the "Hardcore gamers" that wants to be able to play the "NEWER" dx10 games at high settings and with all of the eye candy..

If you aren't a Hardcore Gamer dont worry about getting a dx10 video card or the new operating system right away..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dx10 cards also have a number of hardware improvements at least the ATI ones do that would give them a significant advantage playing any game at all even if it was dx9 the effects would be the same but the card would be alot faster than say a dx9 version of the same card.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Can you play DX-10 Games with DX-9? Probally a stupid question...
So I think I will just go ahead with what i'm getting then..?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can play dx10 games in a dx9 mode, it plays but without any dx10 effects.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
What kind of new graphics are in the DX-10 and will these cards have differn't names, or be the same jsut with it.