Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need new mother board

• Please log in to reply

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I wrote a few weeks ago about my new <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlog...2&k=video card" onmouseover="window.status='video card'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">video card</a>, and now I'm ready to buy a new <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlog...k=mother board" onmouseover="window.status='mother board'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">mother board</a> WITH AN APG SLOT. I have no idea what to look for in a mother board to match my computer.
Specs are:

Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop
Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz
512 MB RAM
CD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive

it has two USB slots in the front and four in the back (i don't know if this matters)

Anyway, if anyone has time, I'd really appreciate the advice.
THANKS A LOT!!!

Siebenboy

Advertisements

Siebenboy

Siebenboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
sorry..... messed up.

original message:

I wrote a few weeks ago about my new video card and now I'm ready to buy a new mother board WITH AN APG SLOT. I have no idea what to look for in a mother board to match my computer.
Specs are:

Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop
Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz
512 MB RAM
CD-ROM drive
CD-RW drive

it has two USB slots in the front and four in the back (i don't know if this matters)

Anyway, if anyone has time, I'd really appreciate the advice.
THANKS A LOT!!!

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Are you going to migrate the cpu and Ram to the new MB? IF so then find a MB that is compatable with your cpu and ram then make sure the connections line up with the case (unless you are changing the case as well)
also make sure the MB has the chipset that supports the FSB of your cpu it doesn't make sense to get a MB that supports an 800 FSB without backward compatability if your cpu is runs at 533.

Other than that get the stuff you want on the motherboard : if you want intergrated audio go for it ... if you have Sata drive look for Sata connections
Do you want or need firewire?

these and other question only YOU can answer.

petedageek

never know my limits until I exceed them