Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Issue!

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi! I just tried the test listed here: http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_000.html and I did it when I had Norton about a week ago, and I just tried it out now with AVG (my new protector), and it didn't catch the script... Norton wouldn't let me save the file, but AVG did! :whistling: When I told AVG to scan the file, it found the virus, but I'm concerned that it let it come through! Can can I do now?! Any way to increase the security level or something?! :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is AVG's behaviour. It never has scanned files before download. If you was to try and run the downloaded file though, then you would be blocked from using it. Other programs do scan before you have chance to click Save, AVG is not one of them.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, so does anyone think this is a serious issue, or am I making too much out of this?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If you'd downloaded it and managed to run it a few times and AVG did not report it, THEN it would be time to worry. :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you would like a more secure AV program which is still free and is updated more frequently, try Avast Antivirus Home Edition:

http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, the bad thing is that I just bought AVG Pro... So I really don't want to switch again... I just wanted to know if this slip in the auto-protect was a serious issue or if it doesn't matter.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
There is no "slip". AVG offers "auto-protect" and on-access scanning. It has never included scanning files before download, a feature you find on most other packages.

But you would be told if a file contained a virus when you tried to run it, just not when you download it.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So if it runs iteself like typical virus behavior, you're saying that it would catch it. This is not dangerous in the least.