Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME System Files Altered

• Please log in to reply

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Dear Geeks to Go:

Due to a series of problems with my desktop computer, while trouble shooting, I ran across "Dr. Watson", a Microsoft diagnostic tool. But I don't know what the findings mean or even how to use them to resolve my issues, but the report noted the following:

<unknown> has altered windows system files
Module Name: < unknown>

Could these altered files be the cause of the series of computer problems noted below?

Currently, I can not print in an internet environment (AOL browser or Internet Explorer). I can print Word and / or Excel documents. But when I try to print while in AOL or from my IE browser, I get the following:

In AOL it generates script errors, etc
In IE, it provides no error message (it's almost as of the printer is not there)

Now, I've ruled out the printer and my AOL High Speed service as the likely culprits. With the advice of HP technician, I've disengaged and reestablished USB controller devices as well as uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and drivers with CD and all, but still no luck. Then I moved on to AOL tech support, and we troubleshoot, and even restored AOL, but still no ability to print anything other than non-internet items.

Finally, I connected my AOL High Speed cable to another computer (a laptop) and hooked up the same printer, and all is well on that computer. I can print anything and from anywhere. Leaving me to believe, that my problems lie with the operating system (WIN ME).

My desktop computer is a Dell Dimension 4100, Pentium III, 1GHz, 32 MB NVIDIA GeForce MX 4X AGP Graphics Card, 256 RAM with WIN ME operating system, and it has been creating a lot of havoc lately. For a while I could not get the monitor to function and when I did, it would not retain the setting; it would default to the lowest resolution. So far, this has been corrected and seems stable.

However, each time I start -up, it never does a full boot. It stops and ask me to chose from 1 of 4 choices (Normal, logged, Safe and Step by Step). Additionally, I can not do a defrag, it says that it is happening but nothing is actually happening. Also, I can't do a system restore to an earlier period. I've scanned for various problems, disks issues, viruses and adwares with McAfee, Spybot, etc., and never any virus finds or any other finds for that matter. Now today, the computer keeps cutting off and I'm not even on the internet.

I have no idea what to do or how to correct these problems and the operating system altered files. Can you please tell me step by step how to resolve these issues? I'm not a 'techie' but I'm willing to try and resolve these issues with good instructions from you guys.

Thanks I really appreciate whatever help and guidance you can provide to me.

Sincerely,

Just another middle age female trying to cope with the variances of technology.... :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sinking Fast...

It does, indeed sound like you may have some corrupted system files...and maybe some registry problems, as well.

Try running scandisk and see if it can fix any of the errors. To do this, click "Start", point to "Progams", then to "Accessories", then to "System Tools", and select "Scan Disk". Put a tick in the box at the bottom to "Automatically fix errors" and tick the box next to "Thorough" to run the comprehensive scan. This will also check the hard drive free space area to make sure it's in good shape. The scan will take quite a while, be patient...let it finish.

Let me know if there is any improvement once it has completed.

wannabe1

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Good Morning Wannabe1,

Thanks for your response, and I'm sorry for the delay, but I just saw your reply. I wish I had seen it last night. :whistling:

However, a while back I had done a Scandisk but not in the thorough mode and it usually went on to do what it is supposed to do. Now, as you instructed I attempted it today several times, but each time it tells me that ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this warning?

As to quitting some running programs, I don't know what or which programs I can or should quit. So I told the computer to continue trying and don't give me any warnings. Will it eventually override the writing that is going on in the background and do its scandisk job? So far the ScanDisk green meter bars have centered on checking folders and file allocation tables but never beyond a range of maybe 4 or 6 bars on the chart, if that far.

If the scan is not going to take, and closing programs will be required for it to work (i.e., getting the meter bar all the way to the end), please let me know which programs I should most likely attempt to close?

Thanks for your quick response.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Do you have System Restore on or off? If on try a restore point to before when you had the problem

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for your response but the computer will not let me go back to a period when I knew the computer was behaving better. All the restore points in the system are dates after the problems began. Also, when I select one of those dates, I get error notices.

So, as it stands, I can't do a ScanDisk with auto repair or a restore point.

Can somebody please help me?

Also, on this bulletin board I don't know how to get the orange tag that everybody has next to thier topics. Does this have anything to do with the response timing on messages? Also, how does one get a message to the first tech person that came to your assistance?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Also, how does one get a message to the first tech person that came to your assistance?

It would appear that would be me. :whistling: We are notified by e-mail when there is a reply to the topic. The "Orange thing" has nothing to do with the timing of replies...they can be chosen by selecting them from the choices below the reply window.

The System Restore suggestion was a good idea...I wanted to wait to see if you had any luck with that.

Do you have the WinME installation cd? Does your machine have a floppy drive?

wannabe1

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Wannabe1,

Oh great, you're still there, and you've come to save me!!!! :blink:

In addition to a floppy disk A Drive, I also have separate CD ROM and DVD Drives. Yes, I have a CD from Dell marked Operating System / Reinstallation CD WMe. Most of the things I got from Dell with this computer are still in shrink wraps, 5 years later!

However, the CD is out of the shrink wrap because on 7/2/06, my girlfriend's husband came over to help me with some of the problems that I've been experiencing with this computer. I believe he used the CD but 3 or 4 days later the computer became WILD. My friends are now away on vacation until September, so I desperately need your help!

Incidentally, I see on this website, other members posting logs from their computers. Would this be something of interest to you to get to the bottom of my problem? I can do that providing you tell me how to do it. Okay?

In any event, thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you. Oh, and I see that I now have an "orange tag" next to my topic; it may not be needed, but it makes me feel better! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then...

I can't remember just how the Dell cd is setup, so I need to take a peek at the files on the WinME cd you have. From the machine you are using to post here, put the cd in the drive and hold the Shift key down when you close the tray and for afew seconds after it's closed...this will override the autoplay function.

Open "My Computer", right click on the CD-ROM drive, and choose "Explore". Is there a file there named setup.exe?

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Yes, there is a file there named:

setup.exe
Windows Setup EXE
Microsoft Corporation

I'm on a borrowed laptop right now, not my desktop since it's too unstabled.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a floppy drive on the borrowed laptop, as well?

setup.exe
Windows Setup EXE

Are these separate files?

Advertisements

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yes, a separate floppy on the borrowed lap top, as well.

Regarding the file setup.exe, it's just as you wrote; the other lines are just more discriptive information....no .exe following this info.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Excellent! :whistling:

Let's see if we can do an in-place upgrade (repair install). We're going to need a Win98SE Startup Disk for this. To create one, download This Application and save it to the desktop on the laptop machine. Double click on the file to execute the application and put a fresh, formatted floppy diskette in the drive when you are prompted to do so by the application you just started.

Let me know when you have this disk ready and we'll see if we can't get the desktop machine working as it should. :blink:

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm in the process of doing as you asked; however, it did not ask me where I wanted to save the download. (You said to put it on the desktop.) It is now asking for the floppy. Is that okay to do it now. Or should I start over?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It really doesn't matter where the file is saved so long as the floppy is created properly...we'll find that out in a few minutes. :whistling: Go ahead an finish it up...

Sinking Fast

Sinking Fast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
DONE :whistling: