Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Not starting/PS replaced/Light on MB

• Please log in to reply

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
A few days ago I came home and found my pc beeping, which I thought might be from a loose USB cab;e from my Ipod. So I pulled it out and hit the reset button. When the BIOS came up to reboot, it stalled and said that the keyboard was not found or had an error. I have never had a problem with the keyboard previously. I went out and baught another KB and plugged this in. I still got the same error. When I tried to continue to troubleshoot, the PC suddenly stopped turning on at all.

The power button was being pressed, but nothing would happen. I unplugged the pc, let it sit, and replugged it in and stil nothing. The fans would not even work either.

I found this pretty extreme, so I figured it might be with the power supply unit. I went out and bought another one and tried to replace it. This didn't work either. This was actually sounded like it shorted out and then would not provide the motherboard with power as the red light was not on. I went back to the old PSU and plugged the system back in, and the light came back on on the MB, but the PC would still not startup. The only thing I have connected with the PSU is the MB, RAM, Sound Card, Video Card and HD.

Any thoughts??

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G LesPaul30

Could you start be telling me which motherboard you have (Make & model) please? You should see this info printed in white on the actual board itself - normally near the centre of the board.

Out of interest, do you use a USB keyboard or PS/2?

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The Motherboard is an Albatron px845 PEV. The system I have running is an Intel P4 2.4, 768MB SDRAM, RaidMax 350W PSU. The Keyboard I have is a PS/2. Since starting the post, I have also reset the CMOS by removing the battery and setting the jumpers on the board to reset it. Still nothing.

Only thing that I can think of outside of a fried MB or CPU is that the PSU has failed, but only provides limited voltage which will light the LED on the MB itself. The "new" PSU I picked up today does not power the board at all with both 24/4 connections on it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, I want you try these following steps. I realise you may have already tried some of them but can you repeat them anyway please? You must follow these instruction exactly....

1. Disconnect the external power lead

2. Wear anti-static strap or discharge static by touch matal part of case chassis

3. Disconnect the 20pin ATX connector from the motherboard & the ATX12V square (4 pin) connector

4. remove bios battery again or use the clear cmos jumper to clear the bios. If removing battery, leave out for a minute before reinserting. If using jumper, leave in clear position for 30 secs

5. Check the soft power connector - the one that connects the power switch on front of case to motherboard. Please ensure it is fully connected & is connected to the correct pins on the front panel header
I believe this header looks like this on your board:

2 4 6 8
o o o o
o o o o o
1 3 5 7 9

The power switch connector should be on pins 6 + 8

6. Reconnect the 2 ATX power connectors to the board. Also make sure that the power is connected to your optical drives & hard drive. You can leave the ribbon cables disconnected from the motherboard though

7. Try & power the system on again. If you still have same problem, disconnect the soft power connector from the front panel header (pins 6+8) then try to power up the system by bridging the 2 pins with a small flat bladed screwdriver. Make sure you only touch these 2 pins!

Let me know what happens

LesPaul30

LesPaul30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nope, still nothing. Starting this really consider that this is dead. What a bummer. Looks like I will need to go through repurchasing/upgrading my rig- but it has been 3 years. I will post an additional question regarding other hardware, unless you have any other suggestions for this topic. Thanks again- Ian

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like the motherboard may be fried in that case. You may want to check it for damage - e.g leaking capacitors, burning smell, charring, damage to chips etc, loose components. Also check that nothing has dropped down the back of the board & is shorting the board out with the case.

Let us know how you get on with the new rig :whistling: