Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a PC for moderate end gaming. Need help.

• Please log in to reply

JayVee

JayVee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I got some help froms some guys on a different website, and I put this together form what they said. I was thinking of ordering it from cyberpowerpc.com. Any advised changes?
CASE: TURBO X-DREAMER CASE 350 WATT W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (BLUE
COLOR)
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport
Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)MSI K9N Neo-F nForce 550 Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID
16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
(Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: SPECIAL!!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
LCD Monitor: ViewSonic Q9B 19" COLOR TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor
(Black)
HARD DRIVE: SPECIAL!!! 160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Hard Drive 2: SPECIAL!!! 160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK
COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
POwer Supply:NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply
Cooling Fan:CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
RAID 0 Array

Thanx in advance

Advertisements

JayVee

JayVee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm worried because no one replied. Is the system decent? Will it even work? The guys that helped me cannot totally be trusted.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Looks to be ok for moderate gaming, should consider getting an X fi sound card. Also since your are getting a NZXT psu you should really look at their case the LEXA, it's a very very nice case. Not sure if you really need liquid cooling for a single card system, might be cheaper and more effecient to buy a few Zalman products such as the CNPS9500 and the 900 VGA coolers. Check the refresh rate for the monitor to make sure that you won't get ghosting when gaming. And just curious How much is this system?

P.S.
If you don't need the system in a hurry, you should wait for Intel's Core 2 Duo and maybe some DX10 compatible video cards which should all be out near the last quarter of 06.

JayVee

JayVee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i need the computer by august for school. I actually changed this and decided on a Corsair XMS2 memory and dropped the second optical drive. The system is about 1830 dollars, including a keyboard, mouse, windows and microsoft works. Also, regarding DirectX10, I had hear that it would only be compatible with Vista. If that's the case, will games designed for XP run on Vista? They should if I am correct.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dx is fully back compatible so you wont have problems with dx9 games in vista.

Your PSU doesnt have a brand and is to small with the case, you need to get a quality one of about 500W i cant say ive seen alot of nzxt PSUs so i wouldnt be entirely comfprtable saying they are good to get preferably you should get one from someone more established in the market like antec or enermax and try and get a case without a PSU save you from paying for two PSUs. The hard drives are too small and dont have a large enough cache you want at least a 200Gb with 16mb cache as per Gb they are cheaper.

JayVee

JayVee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does an Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready) look better? Also, It doesn't look like cyberpowerpc offers cases without PSUs. Aside from paying for two, would this cause any other problems, (as the price as it is is okay with me)? Also, would two 300gb HardDrives with 16md cache each be good enough?

JayVee

JayVee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
With a new sound card (Creative Labs X-FI XtremeMusic 24-BIT PCI Sound Card), larger Hard drives, and new PSU, the system is about 2014. I hadn't planned on spending over 2000, but $14 isn't an issue. If the soundcard is decent, thanks for the help.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmm well I profess to be no expert at this, but as far as I know onboard sound from a motherboard is more than enough in terms of gaming quality. Unless you really want the best of the best in terms of sound perfection (and if you fancy a lot of movies), then go with a soundcard. For me if it really boiled down to money, I'd pass up the soundcard.

Edited by SecretMaster, 11 July 2006 - 09:50 PM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
but my friend secretmaster, once you use an x fi you will never ever go back to onboard, yes yes i know that onboard works but the difference between the 2 is "hhmmmm can't find a word for it" googleplexfold plus a decent card will last a long time. gaming quality will be affected since it takes the load off your cpu so you get better sounds with faster fps. And let's not forget about the mp3 collection, we can't really neglect audio.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

but my friend secretmaster, once you use an x fi you will never ever go back to onboard, yes yes i know that onboard works but the difference between the 2 is "hhmmmm can't find a word for it" googleplexfold plus a decent card will last a long time. gaming quality will be affected since it takes the load off your cpu so you get better sounds with faster fps. And let's not forget about the mp3 collection, we can't really neglect audio.

Of course the sound is superior, but when it comes down to an extra $200, I'm willing to skimp on that kind of thing. As long as words are audible I'm satisfied.

Like I said, a matter of preference. And as far as I know, the sound strain on your CPU isn't too significant. If your playing a new game with an old comp, maybe then it might become an issue. But I've never noticed anything too terrible in terms of gaming without a soundcard. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Me, I skip on soundcards. Give me two speakers and I'm set.

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok your system is pretty sound, I would go OCZ on the ramm even with higher then rec ddr values, although corsair is an excellent chip..
mother boards well Asus , Gigabite, and Abitz is the only ones I mess with, great overlcockers , [bleep] great out the box.. check into ASUS or Abitz you wont be disapointed...

I also Like the fortron lines of PSU's Fortron has a 700w all in wonder PSU it has plent of power for the dual cores , nvidia video cards, plus plenty of sata connectors...

I have the Hi-Fi card if your a big first person shooter like RVS,Graw AA, or HalfLife2 you can hear footsteps for a great distance.. plus the music is so crisp.. altho most higher end mobo's coming with 5.1-7.1 onboard sound which is plenty for ave. gamers..

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
just want to add my two cents hear, you don't need an X-fi sound card, thats the highest end sound card out there and unless you buying 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system, your not going to be using its full potential and could get pretty much the same performance for a cheaper card. But if you getting a surround sound system, go for it :whistling: Also you won't be getting any more fast FPS with a better sound card.
James

Edit: never mind i see that you have a 7.1 audio system, with a high tech system like that it would be dumb to not get the X-fi sound card :blink:

Edited by james_8970, 13 July 2006 - 03:26 PM.