Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Any way to remap folders?

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have a laptop with two installations of Windows XP. Since space is limited on my hard drive, I would like Windows on partition 2 to default its My Documents to the partition 1 My Documents. I would also like to point my Outlook to refer to the same profile across both installations. How can I do this?

Edited by Tyler5690, 09 July 2006 - 06:51 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the first thing you must do is make the MY DOCUMENTS folder on the C: drive accessible to everyone....at a default, it is a protected folder

you never mentioned, Xp home or pro

I will have to try your outlook question, it can be done, but I am unsure about unintended consequences

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Both installations are Pro.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you are using Windows XP Pro, disable Simple File Sharing, which is the default when it is not joined to a domain. To disable simple file sharing,

Double click MY COMPUTER, choose TOLLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW. Scroll down and UNCHECK USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING.

Now, locate c:\documents and settings\{profile you want to share}

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message if one appears.

Click the EVERYONE username, and then ALLOW next to full control

This will allow you to access the folders from the first OS

In the second OS, right click on MY DOCUMENTS, choose PROPERTIES, choose FIND TARGET, and navigate to the desired profile from the first OS.

That should make the MY DOCUMENTS folders identical for both OSs

---------------------

For outlook, you would open OUTLOOK in the second OS, choose DATA FILE MANAGEMENT, select your data store, click settings, and change the file path to the PST file in the first os, which should already have the everyone status from the first step,

does that make sense?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes, thanks, that's just what I was looking for.