Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
My internet has been slow responding & my computer has been heating up a lot.Ive done the compressed air thing & dusted my little Omnibook 6000.Ive cleaned/cleared & fixed all i can & defraged.I know CPU has a lot to do with it.How do I reduce CPU?(((keep in mind i know absolutely nothing about CPU)))))please & thank you !

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have a lot of programs like instant messaging, etc loading at startup?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
well according to spy-bots system start up feature i have SunJavaUpdate,WindowsDefender((which i never use...at least i dont think so)) & Yahoo messenger to start at start up.However when i go through my start menu & click on start up a tab pops up that says "svchost" & i have no clue what that is.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Description:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Are you directly connected to the internet or do you have a wireless/wired connection to a modem?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
actually i use public wireless internet access

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Do you have any malware on your computer?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I think I dealt with a similar problem earlier. Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open task manager. How much percent is svchost using and how many processes are there?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
u know what?lately when i press crtl+alt+del my task mamager doesnt pop up

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Uhhhh.. Try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC If that doesnt work, I think your computer has more that one issue.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
uh-oh!ctrl+alt+esc didnt work either.I update & run spy-bot,ad-aware,perfect disk,jv16 power tools(to fix registry), & ccCleaner at least once a week.I just did yesterday.My internet has been etremely slow esponding & sometimes I cant even get a signal.I figured it might be because its summer & the big tree outside is flush with leaves & its interfereing with my signal.But now im thinking its pry something else if not even crtl+alt+del will work for me

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs that might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok here u go.....

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
im tryn to add it but when i post it doesnt show there is an attatchment.Is there?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
OMG!!!! I downloaded,updated, & ran AVG free edition & I found an incredible 8897 infected objects ! (one of them was svchost.exe) They've been infected by the "Trojan Horse Dropper,Generic DZD" whatever that is. 1 infected by Adware,Generic NFR.4 infected by "Trojan Horse Downloader,Generic YZD.3 by Adware Generic NNK.(not to mention the scan took 2 & 1/2 hours to scan & another 1/2 hour to heal everything ! ) Was this the problem of my slow/nonresponding XP?
Also I do update & run all those programs I listed in my first post.How did all these programs miss THOUSANDS of problems?Should I delete some of these programs?Which programs should I install/update/run to keep my XP safe & running good?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Was AVG able to quarantine/delete all the infected objects?