Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
well 4448 of them ended up in the virus vault.I dont know what AVG did with the others

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to answer your question from a couple posts back--different tools for different problems

spybot and windows defender work on malware
avg works on viruses and trojans and worms

there is some overlap, but not as much as you would think

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Here's my list of weekly chores to all 14 PCs in our house. #1 update and run "ad aware" twice #2 update and run "Tweak Now" twice #3 Update and run "AVG Free" #4 update and run "spybot" twice #5 update and enable "spyblaster" #6 update and run "cc cleaner" twice then "ccleaner" *fix issues* twice #7 disc cleanup both hard drives of every machine (can be done simultaneouly) #8 defrag ALL drives (can do different machines simultaneouly!!! Intire process on 14 PCs takes about two hours. Good luck, and I always delete everything AVG finds. All these cleaning tools were found at downloads.com for free! EIGHT STEPS, write them down and tape it to the bottom of your screen. I also no longer do their offered backups as they have never been needed. :whistling: Do as many as you can at the same time, by doing them twice or more they always find something lurking behind something else.

Edited by crunch, 12 July 2006 - 09:13 AM.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
wow!thats alot! & i thought what i was already doin was alot!!I'll get started right away!If i have any questions I'll be back !thanks geeks to go yet again for shedding some light on my dark world !u r the true tech heroes!

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
WWhat? Svchost is a virus. I think you have made a mistake. Svchost is system file. Scvhost is a virus (Note the CV). Make sure which one it is. If Scvhost is eating up ur CPU its a virus. If Svchost is doing it, its a different problem (I've had this problem).

Also, try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
my crtl+alt+del works now.When i do crtl+alt+del my CPU usage goes from 0 to about 6,it keeps changing.When I move my cursor around the CPU jumps up to about 28 but it keeps changing as well.& the task manager says theres 30 processes running

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
That sounds a whole lot better. I play with second and third generation PCs alot, so run mostly CPUs back around 1.4 to 1.7Ghz The kids game on them alot and do all their homework, and they are set up for several media functions, decoders/DVD burners/TV tuners/music and on line games as well, etc. They pickup alot of garbage from the net especially loading games and stuff off Limewire (viruses/spys). So I do those weekly cleanings (kind of rednecks with fourteen PCs in the house) . Always plenty garbage on them. I like to see the CPU usage idleling around 0 to 4% when most things are on but nothing is happeneing like downloads. If you do "ctrl-alt-del" and catch your CPU around 50% but YOU aren't doing much "(GET OFF LINE IMMEDIATLY)" reboot check again. When I work on someone else's, I like to go to (pcpitstop) do full test and get test results and score and follow their tips then email the pages to myself for printing. After doing all the cleanning (usually everything twice, even double defrag) long time if they've been slacking, then rerun (pcpitstop) email scores to my self for printing and comparing, often big difference in their overall score. Fun and embarrassment for them to use a vidio camera and show them how long it took to scan their "C" drive. REMEMBER THE EIGHT STEPS AND DO MOST TWICE, you will be surprised what gets missed the first time. I dumped NORTON for way too many problems and expenses and have excellent luck with AVG. Delete everything those 6 cleaners find, I've tried several others and had many registry errors later. Been playing with "Ashampoo" but these six (above) are most reliable (for MYSELF) :whistling:

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
i thought talkn bout limewire was a big no-no here at geeks 2 go....but since you brought it up...most of my nightmarish problems started when I started using limewire.((((& i tried other things simalar to limewire but nothing compared to it.& i got so addicted to limewire too.HAD TO BREAK THAT HABIT!!!))) I had that blackworm life-ruiner & every other problem that stalks this information hiway.I think my life would be over if it wasnt for Geeks 2 Go! Exspecially because Im such the computer rookie,Geeks 2 Go was sooooo patient & never once has anyone here made me feel stupid & not yet have I encountered anyone with a attitude here as well.Most everywhere else Ive gone 4 help the only replies I got where rudely answered & left me feeling shamed & embarrassed(((not dramatically,but you know))))Anyhow my CPU is running at between 6 & 8% now & my Xps switched into the fast lane now.I also downloaded Advanced Windows Care & even after I ran all the 6 million programs I already had AWC still found a few probs....but not after I ran it a second time!

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Wait do you still have lime wire? Limewire doesn;t have malware in it. It's what you download off of it. Delete everything you downloaded. And never again download anything beside an mp3 (basically no type of file you do not recognize)

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
nope it was hard to do but i got rid of that!

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
My boys "Limewire" all the time THUS the need for top quality cleaners and every week , twice in a row. You talk about being put down and feeling shamed, (try posting on "computing.net") all you get is insults. This is by FAR THE BEST SITE OF ALL!!!!!!! Thanks to a fantastic bunch of techs and a little respest for us beginners that used to have other bad habits now switched to computing. :blink: :whistling: Don't forget the six cleaners and eight steps, they saved me hundreds of dollars this last year.