Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with desktop display settings

• Please log in to reply

drumsrit

drumsrit

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would have thought this a simple fix but I have been at it for 4 hours now with no success. Here is the deal. I have an older ati card that for some reason keeps losing its driver. I can reload it every time and it works fine. In my tinkering, I rt clicked the desktop, went to properties, settings, advanced, adapter... here is where the problem is. After I uninstalled and removed the old card, the only adapter show here was the "vga" adapter. Thinking that I could be "intelligent" I used the drop down box to disable the adapter. I got the message to reboot and did so. Bios started ok and I saw the Windows xp symbol and all that. The second it tried to go to the desktop... nothing but black screen. The hard drive runs just like it does when it boots normally but I cant see anything at all. I have tried, safe mode, last known good, vga mode (from the F8 key at bootup). I have tried boot disks recovery disks, tried to find the key in the reg with no luck.

So... I am out of options but I know there has to be a way to somehow access the control panel or the display settings so I can simply re-enable the vga adapter. I am open to suggestions and appreciate any help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how can you check the registry settings if you cannot see the screen?

drumsrit

drumsrit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried using a Bart PE disk that gave me a few programs and the run command. Using that I was able to run regedit. The disk has its own video drivers so it bypassed the windows settings.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, now a question--how did you look at the registry?

DId you just type regedit?

or did you install the plug in RegeditPE

If you just typed regedit, you did not look at the registry that was failed. You were looking at the registry created and used by BartPE