Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New computer won't setup

• Please log in to reply

Tchamber

Tchamber

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just bought a new/used system from craigslist. It's an EVGA 133-K8-NF41 with 1 gig of DDR 400, WD 250 gig hd, (2) BFG 6600 GT OC's, 1 currently installed, and Lexa case with 500watt power supply. I saw the thing in action before I bought it, saw the graphics in American Army, or some game like that, and it worked fine. It already had XP installed, but when I try to format it, I can't boot to the CDROM unless the hd is disconnected, and if I connect the hd it's reognized in BIOS, will boot to old Xp installation, but I can't boot to CD, said that already. I tried, foolishly, to disconnect the SATA connector to the hd, and booted to XP CD, and when it started loading from the disk, reconnected the SATA cable, and started a quick format of hd. Now I can't boot to HD at all, but still it's detected in BIOS. I downloaded the manual for my mobo, but it doesn't cover troubleshooting....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am new to SATA and don't know how to setup any of it. Let me know what your thoughts are, TIA,
-Tchamber

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to load the sata drivers at teh beginning of setup (when you see PRESS f6 to load scsi drivers)

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Supposed I do that, I still can't boot to the CD when the HD is connnected. And are the SATA drivers on the mobo disk that I don't have?

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

And are the SATA drivers on the mobo disk that I don't have?

Go to the website of the company that made your motherboard. Usually they will have a list of downloads for SATA drivers for different types of motherboards.