Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Prompt

• Please log in to reply

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Is there a program or a tweak that I can do on XP SP2 that prompts you for your password whenever you try to download a file from the net? I've searched everywhere but found no information.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
short answer is no.

long answer is that you can deny access to the internet, but still be able to view internal sites. You can block specific sites, using various monitoring programs you can see what acitivity is happening on the system.

At this point I would have to ask what your intent is before I can further answer your question.

J0hn

J0hn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I want the password prompt because of security reasons. I don't want any of my sisters downloading funny programs into my computer from the net without my password permission.

As for blocking websites, that's simple, all I want is a program that prompts you for a password whenever you download a file from the net. So your short answer was, no. I guess there's no program or tweak, maybe there is I just have to research more. THanks anyway :whistling:

Only way I can think of is creating another user account and setting a restriction to not install hardware. That way is good, but the thing is, you can still "Download"

Edited by J0hn, 10 July 2006 - 04:22 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
easier way to accomplish what you want. first off if its your pc then setup a new account for them to use with only "user" rights. Meanwhile you will have admin rights for your id. To change this go to control panel, users. you probably want to disable fast logon (change the way users logon). Also you will want to set a screensaver with password protection, just in case you step away from the pc.

Now, one word of caution. I would create an id for your parents as well, with full admin rights. In fact I would tell them first before making the changes.

user prilivages start with user. this only allows them to logon and use the pc. no installation rights what so ever. Next comes poweruser. can install programs that are profile only, install printers. then comes admin with all privliages.

There is a "guest" account. Please disable this account as it is a security risk for it to be enabled.