Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blender 3D

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering whether anyone here knows Blender3D, the new 2.42 version is coming and so I just wanted to see how many blender-fans are here. :whistling:

In case you're wondering: http://www.blender.org

:blink:

Edited by Hai Mac, 10 July 2006 - 05:22 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Mucked around with it for a while but it didnt fit the needs i needed at the time the formats it used at the time werent compatible with abything i wanted to incorporate them into, i used maya and wings 3d for a while but got fed up with the whole thing all the software i used was to akward for me never properly got the nack of it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Not familiar, but it's nice to see an open source option for 3D modeling. All the commercial options are terribly expensive! :whistling:

BTW, nice siggy Hai Mac.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yeah, it is rather user-unfriendly, but it takes time to get used to it. I am no arty person and I guess that's why I never made something cool-looking with Blender3d... but still I am fascinated by it. So many functions and all for free :whistling:....

Anyone else? That's really IT?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, 3d modelling is a bit niche, and blender was fiddly even wings which was supposed to be good was to unintuitive for my likings, the only vaguely 3d modeling like software ive liked was the hammer editor for source but it was redone to make map modeling easier its would be cool to have it as dedicated 3d modeling but could never find out if they made it like that.

Blenders compatibility was pants as well it needed like 3 different apps to convert it into something usable.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I don't think so. Of course you need some graphics program to make textures, a decent renderer to make it look good, some codec to export to video and external programmable tools :whistling: but I think that's nothing unusual, especially for open source projects. Yes, it does get in the way sometimes, though...

By the way, what was the last version of Blender you encountered?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It might have been v2although it was a couple of years ago it might have been before that could have been v1 i really cant remember it wasnt version 1 vanilla for sure but thats all i can remember.

It might have been the task i was trying to accomplish in particular, i was trying to model for a game called Homeworld 2 more specifically the PDS mod(im not involved anymore i didnt like the direction they were taking and someof the people that came in later freaked me out, roleplaying and that stuff), and i tried blender at first because it was free but i had limited success with it so i went to wings had a little better luck with it then maya which is what the game was made with and it did textures as well it was just near impossible to get hold off. But maya did everything as it had all its plugins and codecs included.

Was a long time ago, decided 3d modeling why i liked it i didnt have the patience to wrestle with trying to get the shiny rotating 3d image in my head onto the screen.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 July 2006 - 12:15 PM.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yay, 2.42. finally out! :whistling:

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have my fun with it once in awhile. hehe

Attached Thumbnails