Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor troubles

• Please log in to reply

ess-uu

ess-uu

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have an AGM 17inch flat screen LCD monitor at work.

This monitor looks good, but with a bit of research have found out it cost bout £100.

My problem lies with refreshing the screen, or more so scrolling down a page. Instead of being smooth and continuous the screen is very 'stepped' (if that is a word). i.e. it jerks instead of scrolls.

Any help with how I might improve this would be greatful.

Thanks

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
1.Did you install the proper/latest video card driver?
2.Did you install the any software that came with the monitor?
3.Is your refresh rate around 70?
4.Does it happen in every screen scrolling? Or just some programs?

ess-uu

ess-uu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The monitor and computer are brand new, so I would (and I know its wrong to) presume it has all the latest drivers.
The monitor is plug and play, no software needed to install.
The 'jerking' happens with all programs.
Im not too sure what the refresh rate is or where to find it to adjust it.

Sorry if im a bit vague, bit new to all of this.

Thanks for your help though.

ess-uu

ess-uu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
**Update**

I have reduced the colours on the monitor from 32 bit to 16 and the monitor is better but still not right.

I have found the refresh rate box but the only option in there is use hardware default setting.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmmm i suspect that it shouldn't be a hardware program, I couldn't find your monitor specs online but if the response time is around 8ms it should be fine. So I think it would most likely be software related, and the biggest suspect would be the video card driver.
A few more questions.
Do you know what video card you have? go to control panel and find system and check there
Right click on my computer, go to manage, and go to device manager and check if you have any big yello question marks on any of the devices.

p.s. the colour should have nothing to do with it.

Ahh i thought of a eaiser way of testing the hardware, plug the monitor into another computer and see if the jerking is still there, if it is than it's the hardware. If it's not than you know it's a software problem

Adios Amigo
Let me know how it goes

ess-uu

ess-uu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There are no yellow question marks near any of the items in the device manager.

The video card is a standard VGA graphics adapter

Chip Type: VIA K8M800
DAC Type: 8 bit
Memory Size: 32MB
Adaptor String: VGA

Might have to come into work early to try the monitor on a different computer but thanks for the advice.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
No problem
You should try the monitor on a different computer, and if the hardware is okay than i would suggest you go and buy a graphics card, because the onboard might be too slow to handle even scrolling. I don't know what currency you use, but a graphics card for you purpose can be obtained for under 50 dollars american.
Anything with 128 mb of ram should do. ATI 9600 would do perfectly.
http://www.newegg.co...;SubCategory=48
To bad you don't live on the same continent as me, I have a few cards that I could give to you for free.

ess-uu

ess-uu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Which continent are you in??
Im in England.

Might have to have a word with the company MD and see if they will splash out for me!!