Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 + Hp LaserJet 1320 + CleanUP! == Network Printing no lo

• Please log in to reply

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I have looked in the groups for the answer to my question, and did not find anything that would have helped me. Here is the problem.

My boss had a network setup, where a Win98 computer and HPLaserJet1320 were all connected through WinXP Home SP2. Everything was working fine, except the Win98 computer was extremely slow.

I got annoyed to see him wait for a minute before Exell load and decided to run a cleanUp! on it, and see it if helps. Indeed that helped, and cleanup deleted 600MG of junk on a 3 GB drive. (yes, this computer is about 8 years old)
However, after cleanup bunch of problems started.

Some problems were associated with old Norton Antivirus which was no longer on the computer. To fix that, I deleted some of the registry values, and the problem was gone.

However, what I have now, is the problem with HP LaserJet 1320. When I try to print from Windows98 Computer, it tells me that the printer is offline. However, when I just try to add the printer, I can clearly see the network, and I see that printer displayed. Once I add the printer over again, it tells me that the printer is offline, adn refuses to print.

The WinXP computer printes just fine.

What could I possibly delete from Win98 computer to bust this printing?
And how can I fix it, preferebly quick, or my boss will go balistic?

Thank you very much!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Strange!
Ok when you added the printer again did you pick the correct port to print to eg a ip address.
What happens when you you get the dialog box saying the printer is offline go to the file menu and uncheck the offline.

It sounds like you have lost the ip address for the printer can you ping the printer.

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Strange!
Ok when you added the printer again did you pick the correct port to print to eg a ip address.
What happens when you you get the dialog box saying the printer is offline go to the file menu and uncheck the offline.

It sounds like you have lost the ip address for the printer can you ping the printer.

Well, let's see again. What I did now, I completely removed the printer fron the setting of Win98.
I used the HP CD (that i found) to run a new installation. HP tells me that I does not detect any printers on the network. It seems to be quite strange. When I go on WinXP (main) computer, I can see that the printer is set to be shared.

When I go to MS Windows Networks, i can detect a computer called X11 for example, which is supposedly the main computer. However, right now I can only see that computer to share a folder and no printers. Which is strange, cuz when I looked at it two hours ago, it was still sharing a printer.

Can I give you any other info that might help you help me?

ps. When I unchecked the offline button it just told me that printer was not online, and it put it back into offline.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I am wondering if you can still see the xp machine create a folder or file on the xp machine then go see if you can see the folder/file from 98
Do you know how to get a configuration page from the printer to look at the ip adress for the printer. When you set the printer up on 98 you have to set the port for printing tcpip

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I am wondering if you can still see the xp machine create a folder or file on the xp machine then go see if you can see the folder/file from 98
Do you know how to get a configuration page from the printer to look at the ip adress for the printer. When you set the printer up on 98 you have to set the port for printing tcpip

Hi,

Now that you've mentioned, I checked, and turns out the computer as a hole disappeared from the network.
I check on the main computer, and everything seems to be shared, but it is just not on the network.
Also, this main comp. is connected to the hub via a cable, not wireless, and so is Win98 computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. I don't know how to find the config page from the printer.

Added:
Also, I have just checked, and the WinXP computer cannon see either the old Windows98 Comp or my laptop (that I just connected) on the network.

Edited by kizzletharizzle, 11 July 2006 - 02:08 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok I am wondering if when you cleaned up you got rid of the xp files on the 98 machine. When you connect 98 to XP you have to either make a floppy or put the xp cd in the 98 machine this allows 98 to talk to xp and must be installed
To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer first. The host computer is the one that will share its Internet connection.

• During the Network Setup Wizard, it is recommended that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium computers on your network.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

If you are running the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP fessional, you must be logged on as an administrator in order to complete this procedure.

Insert the network setup disk into the computer you want to network.

Double-click My Computer.

Double-click 3 Floppy (A:).

Double-click netsetup.exe.
Although you are not wanting to share the internet you still need to run the wizard on 98
you can start 98 then insert the xp disc and run the setup from that choose perform additional task then choose setup a small home or office network.

Edited by peterm, 13 July 2006 - 01:40 AM.