Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP or OSX?

• Please log in to reply

mark.ison

mark.ison

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Any one who happens to have stumbled across my other recent topics will know that over the last week my laptop has dissolved in to nothing (mind and soul, not body).

Rather than taking this as bad news i have decided to have a fresh start. The biggest decision i have to make now is whether to use XP(again) or try something new with OSX. I have been reading countless webpages of information about both OS's and i'm still unsure.

Now i'm putting it to you guys. Anyone who has swithched from one to the other. Which do you think is best?

PLEASE AIDE ME IN MY TIME OF NEED!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is a fallacious argument better left to philosopers/evangelists than techies

I'll give you the techies/utilitarian response: it depends on what you do

An OS is an operating system and simply works as a backdrop to what you want to do with a computer. The OS is your user interface and does the background basic in and out processing

Ultimately, the question should come down to programs....if a program you need to run is not available on one platform or another, then that program(s) dictates your OS

Everything else is opinion and preference

mark.ison

mark.ison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I know that a few years ago program support for the OSX was pretty limited. Is this still the case?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but not as bad....look at what was on your laptop, and see if you can get it for the Mac

mark.ison

mark.ison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
which would you rather use (if both had the same support)?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it would not matter to me

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i thought about it a little more, and I think Windows, mainly because of the right click context menu

Mcs, with their single button mouse, would annoy me to no end....to be fair, Macs have begun to implement the multiple button mouse (ie, mighty mouse), but it's not quite to the same level....

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Remember the "aggravation factor". That is the learning curve compared to your ability tolerate the new OS until you become comfortable with it. That is one of the reason users give up on Linux.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
personally I would still choose windows. It has overwhelming support from software/application developers and that's really important to me.
just walk into places like PC World and see how much Windows software there is. Then compare that with how much Mac software they have. No contest.

I would never try to put mac computers down. they are used by the graphics industry so they must be good. And perhaps more reliable because the design and components are more tightly controlled by one company. But it's the application base that severely limits it appeal as a home pc.

Edited by pip22, 10 July 2006 - 12:17 PM.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Something I like alot about mac is viruses. Hackers don't (or barely) make viruses for mac because nobody has one. When a hacker makes a virus, he wants to get many people angry as possible .(or whatever the reason is they make viruses.)

When using a mac, you'll never have to scan for viruses, unless you really want to.:whistling: It's a nice feeling not to have to deal with that stuff.

Edited by emery, 10 July 2006 - 12:38 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You still have to deal with it its just less of a factor there isnt as much mac malware but if they become more popular you are going to see more of it.

They arent really more reliable hardware wise they use whats cheap like most other builders looks are the biggest advantage there, hardware wise they often have there problems like anyother prebuilder, although its sometimes worse due to the nature of the way they are designed then built with asthetics placed over function in many cases.

But it comes down to do you have a Mac? are you going to buy one, unless you are going to buy a new mac you wont be able to use OSX legally as apple dont sell it as a seperate OS as they need the hardware sales to make it profitable.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 July 2006 - 01:08 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
As noted it depends on if you can get the programs you need for the mac with what you want to do. If you just need the basics like office then microsoft makes office for macs. You can do photo edits etc on macs or pc same with web builds and web surfing.
Depending on your computer skills I would say a mac is easier for new people the interface is pretty much the same as windows now. If home networking then networking on a mac is easier then windows. System rebuilds/repairs are easier on a mac so is reinstalling the OS if needed. The learning curve from windows is not that bad, they both look similar to one another and behave similar. Unless you want to get into playing with system files etc then once you open the program you need they are much the same.
If you need to right click then hold the control key and click or just attach a standard usb mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll

Edited by peterm, 14 July 2006 - 10:02 PM.