Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc turns it self off!

• Please log in to reply

englewood

englewood

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi there, i have a problem with my bros pc, when i turn it on, it boots up ok to the desktop then about 30 secs on the desktop it will either reboot and keep rebooting itself or go to a blue screen saying lots of stuff and mainly about the hardware any ideas why??
It is a 1.7 amd
120g seagate barra hardrive (new)
712 ram( i have taken these out and tried only one same problem)
64 graphics card
New installation of windows 2weeks ago.
Changed power supply and still the same.
thanx much appreicated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the blue screen STOP information is critical for us to suggest how to fix it

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

the blue screen STOP information is critical for us to suggest how to fix it

This is what i get:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates, try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates, disable BIOS memory options such as cathing or shadowing, if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable compments , restart your computer press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Tech Info:

***stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0x8056e2a2,0xf5da6988,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Contact admin or tech support.

Thats all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
stop 0x0000008e mean a kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. A kernal mode program means the program directly communicates with the kernal, which means it is not a program you installed and are running.

This is almost always a driver issue or a problem with your motherboard. It could mean the motherboard is failing, but it more often means you need to update your bios

Your first choice should be to update your video, sound and then network drivers in that order, as they are the most likely cause.

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

stop 0x0000008e mean a kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. A kernal mode program means the program directly communicates with the kernal, which means it is not a program you installed and are running.

This is almost always a driver issue or a problem with your motherboard. It could mean the motherboard is failing, but it more often means you need to update your bios

Your first choice should be to update your video, sound and then network drivers in that order, as they are the most likely cause.

I cant update any drivers as it turns off as soon as it gets to the desktop. Can i update any other way??
I thought it was the motherboard as i couldnt access BIOS the other day and when i was trying to install windows xp it kept failing half way through sayin disk error but the disk was fine and the harddrive cause i tried it on another pc? the disk and hardive that was.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a second....you are installing xp? or it was working?

What do you mean that you put it in another machine? As the primary drive?

You need to go into much more detail as this scenario sounds more complicated then your first post implies

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

wait a second....you are installing xp? or it was working?

What do you mean that you put it in another machine? As the primary drive?

You need to go into much more detail as this scenario sounds more complicated then your first post implies

Xp is working.
I formatted the hardrive and tested it in another tower by installing xp which worked fine. Then formatted it agian. (didnt put it straight into the tower.)
Cause i was having problems installing the xp on the machine which is restarting now.
Somehow i got around the problem and windows installed fine and was ok for 2 weeks then this problem started!

Edited by englewood, 10 July 2006 - 12:02 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you choose VGA mode from the safe menu (press f8 once a second while machine is booting)

this is not the same as safe mode

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

can you choose VGA mode from the safe menu (press f8 once a second while machine is booting)

this is not the same as safe mode

Yes, VGA mode works fine!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, assuming that safemode with networking does not work, and this is all we have to work with, try this:

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

click the plus next to DISPLAY, right click the vga adapter, choose uninstall, then reboot.

See if windows will reinstall the right driver.

If that does NOT work, pull the drive and put it in a second computer, download the proper drivers for your videocard, then drop it back into the old computer, boot into VGA mode, and run the driver install from there

Advertisements

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

ok, assuming that safemode with networking does not work, and this is all we have to work with, try this:

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

click the plus next to DISPLAY, right click the vga adapter, choose uninstall, then reboot.

See if windows will reinstall the right driver.

If that does NOT work, pull the drive and put it in a second computer, download the proper drivers for your videocard, then drop it back into the old computer, boot into VGA mode, and run the driver install from there

Hi thanks alot, this has worked fine, do i need any new parts for my pc or was it just a driver error?
thankyou for your time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would still isntall the latest drivers for your videocard

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

ok will do cheers

englewood

englewood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi there i went to the nvidia website and updated the drivers and required a reboot. After the system rebooted i got the blue screen back.

Followed your steps again got it working again , but have not updated the drivers.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...d...=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post.

To do this, go to FILE > SAVE AS

put it on your desktop and give it a file name

Now click the ADD REPLY button on the bottom of this thread, click the BROWSE button beneath the text bo and navigate to your desktop, select your file and click the OPEN button, and then click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT button next to the BROWSE button

Click Add reply button