Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need these?

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi there,
I am currently very obsessed with turning off various services I believe I don't need :whistling: . Please, can somebody advise me if it is OK to turn these services off? I don't want to mess things up, it always says, "turning off this service may cause applications dependent on this stop working" etc. blah blah. Soo:

C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, called Schedule. Personally, I never came across it.
C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, called BITS, transfer of data using unused bandwidth. Eh?
C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, Ianmanworkstation, I don't understand the description of it.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I forgot. I am not connected to any network, except for the internet, my PC is a home PC and usually it is only me, me, my parents and me who use it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Hi there,
I am currently very obsessed with turning off various services I believe I don't need :whistling: . Please, can somebody advise me if it is OK to turn these services off? I don't want to mess things up, it always says, "turning off this service may cause applications dependent on this stop working" etc. blah blah. Soo:

C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, called Schedule. Personally, I never came across it.
C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, called BITS, transfer of data using unused bandwidth. Eh?
C:\WINDOWS.2\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, Ianmanworkstation, I don't understand the description of it.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Chasing window services is largely a waste of time....most do not do anything when not active and the overall hit on performance is negligible.

Do you need the
Task Scheduler--you could maybe get rid of it
Bits is used by Windows Update, both automatic and manual, so you must not disable this
lanmanworkstation is used by lots of services especially if you are on a network and are sharing files/printers

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I use black vipers sevice settings for XP home and pro..SAFE..without any problems...you can read about them here..

http://www.majorgeek.../page.php?id=12

this will help you to understand what they are and which one's you can't/shouldn't turn off and which one's you can...

Edited by happyrck, 10 July 2006 - 11:47 AM.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks to both of you. :whistling: