Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard BIOS Problem

• Please log in to reply

SpacePyro

SpacePyro

• Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, I'm currently in the process of building a computer. Here are the specs of my computer:

ASUS SK8V Motherboard
2.2GHz
1GB RAM
ATi Radeon x800 XT-PE VGA
500watt power supply
2 x 32GB Western Digital Hard Drives
Memorex 16x DVD Burner

Ok, so I had finished connecting all the parts together, and I had cleared the CMOS. I booted it up, and it told me that it was searching for FastTrak drives...and it couldn't find any, and then told me that BIOS was not installed. Using the support CD that came with SK8V, I put it in my CD-ROM, and pressed Alt-F2, which would allow me to install the BIOS. This is what came up:

"Checking for Floppy...
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM found.
Reading file "SK8V.rom" Completed.
Start erasing...
Flash not found!"

And so I left it like that for 5 minutes, still wondering if it was installing the BIOS after it erased, but apparently it didn't. I turned it off and then back on, and there was nothing on my screen.

With the SK8V, supposedly there is a CrashFree BIOS, and with it, it would allow the user to recover the BIOS using a recovery floppy or the Support CD even if the flash files were corrupt. But, as much as I try to put the CD in there, nothing happens. Also, the SK8V has a Voiceon-POST program, which vocally tells you what is wrong if something happens, and I heard "CPU System Fail Test" constantly.

I came to the conclusion that my BIOS is corrupt, and I don't know how to fix this. Is there any BIOS recovery program that would allow me to get my BIOS back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If you can still boot the install program from the CD you may want to make a fresh BIOS floppy and try that install. Here is a link to the current BIOS with the information to provided.

http://bios-and-syst...-BIOS-1001.html

SpacePyro

SpacePyro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't even know if I can install the program...I see nothing on my monitor. The LED on the CD-ROM flashes like twice, and then I can barely hear it working, and then it stops. The floppy drive is disabled, considering I don't have one...

So basically, all I have is the CD-ROM.

Would putting the .ROM file on a blank CD allow me to install a new BIOS?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I doubt placing the .rom file on a CD would do much if anything. Usually when the CD boots it loads the drivers for other essentical hardware. Since it said to boot with the CD and load with the floppy, I would have thought Booting the CD would enable the floppy.
Two other options. Can you find the BIOS (CMOS) chip on the motherboard, and is it welded to, or plugged into a socket? If it is plugged in you can order another chip. That will cost you $50±. If it is welded to the board then option two would be replace the motherboard. Since you did not damage any other componants this may be your best option. Especially with some motherboard running less than $50.
Contact Unicore and talk with them. I have order 6 BIOS chips from them and each time they walked me thru identifing the BIOS chip I needed.

http://www.unicore.com/home.cfm
http://www.amdreview...ev=sk8n_vs_sk8v

SpacePyro

SpacePyro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, it seems as if that's really my only option. I'm really doubting it's my VGA card, but I'm going to try and put in a different video card inside. It's most likely not going to work, but meh, can't hurt to help.

I also learned that it's a Flash ROM BIOS chip, and I heard that I should download this program named "Award Flash Utility" that would help me retrieve my BIOS back...course, it's hard enough trying to work with the BIOS without the screen lol