Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drive is very slow opening files,,, very slow !

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,,
Have recently bought a new pc, to replace my aging dinosaur,, whos long overdue death caught me at a bad time,, so i rushed out and got a new one from pc world.

It had one 08gb drive in it when i bought it,, but had a slot to take a second drive, so i have slotted in one of my 120bg drives from my old pc. All is fine,, recognised,,, working as it should ect,,,

But i have noticed a very annoying occurance when using the second drive.
Will try to explain a bit more.

The 80gb drive in the pc has been partioned by HP, so i have a c- drive of about 65gb and a d-drive of about 8gb. This d-drive is Hps recovery partition etc,,,but both c & d are on the 80gb drive.

So,,,i have installed and formatted my 120gb maxtor drive, and use it solely for all my larger files etc,, ie/ i have all my music files on there (50gb), along with dvd movies and photos etc( 20-30gb ),,

I have a shortcut to my music files on the desktop, but,, the problem is,, whenever i open up the music files stored on the 120gb drive,,, the screen hangs for a while,, and it can take a little while to open up the music folder.
Once its open,, i can speedily click thru all the files and subfolders with ease,, but when i come out of lets say,, an album subfolder, into the artist folder thats where i get another long pause, and sometimes a hang.

Now,,,i know it can sometimes be a little slower to open up files on another drive,, but this is ridiculus. My old dinasaur wasnt like this, and i used the exact same method of file storage.
This new pc is a 3.ghz cpu, has 2gb of fast ram,, lots of free space on both discs,,,, i just cant understand why it is so slow with this drive,,,

Any ideas ?????
Many thanks,,, kev.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
What comes to mind is the drive you added may be fragmented and you may need to run the 'disk defragmenter' on it (Start - all programs - accessories - system tools - disk defragmenter). Shut down all other programs (especially antivirus) and any stuff running in the system-tray before you run defrag.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi PIP22,,thanks for the prompt reply,,,

:whistling: AHHHRRRR,,Why didnt i think of that !!!!!!

My head aint been screwed on properly for some time now,,,must get a grip !!

May have a problem though,,,

Have just done a defrag analysis on the e-drive in question.
Disc defragger says it cannot defrag the volume as there is only " 7% free space, but 0% is available for use by disc defraggmenter( due to reserved system space ),,, defrag requires 15% free space.

Another pop up box appeared, asking me if i wanted to continue anyway,,,,, not sure how to proceed now ???

Any ideas,,, just go ahead anyway ???

Cheers, kev

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Good god !!!!!

Just opened up e-drive to see its contents,,,,,

NORTON GHOST IS TAKING UP 62GB OF SPACE.,,, 77 FILES,,,

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Right,,,here goes,,

Have deleted all of the norton ghost recovery point files,,, all 62gb of them.
The E-drive, no longer requires defraggmenting, and i have created a new norton ghost backup file.

There is now an extra 62gb free on this drive,, but sadly,,, the very slow opening of my music files, and pauses and hangs continue.

Its almost as if,,,,, the os opens the folder when you click on the shortcut,,, but then leaves a blank screen there for a few seconds ( 5- 10 secs ) until it finds the contents of the folder,, and then it suddenly appears ( unless you get a hang,,, which could be as long as 20+ secs )

I have it set up as 300+ artist folders,,, then when you open an artist folder you find any number of subfolders, containing individual albums/cds.
I have always had it set up like this,,, on a seperate drive ,,, and even my old slow dinosaur reacted quicker than this. i never used to get hangs etc,,,, i used to click on the shortcut,,, it opened straight away,,,weird.

Still a bit puzzled by this,,,,
Really would appreciate some advice ,,
cheers,, kev.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Bump,,,,