Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Vista B2 to USB2 External HDD?

• Please log in to reply

algypalgy

algypalgy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, currently running XP Pro SP2, 3.2 GHerts Pentium 4, ATi X1600 Pro Graphics card, 1GB DDR Memory, Freecom Classic USB external HDD 250GB.

Been trying to install Vista B2 on to my USB External HDD, preformatted NTFS, has its own MBR, Primary Partion, Basic.

No problems until the install finishes Expanding the install files. It reboots, then I get this message:

"An error occurred while locating the drive onto which Windows is being installed" (Its my "G Drive)

I then get a messege saying: "Windows Setup Rollback encountered a problem. Please see setup logs for more information" I can't find the logs!! next message says "Installation was not successful"

I would be very grateful if someone had some answers, or perhaps an alternative?

Kind regards, Algypalgy.

Ps. Tried to partition my internal HDD (Maxtor 160GB), which is where XP is in stalled, but installed Acronis Disk Manager Suite, which I'm told can't be used for Vista because Vista uses its own NTFS Format, also XP Disk Manager does give me the option.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hm, not sure you can do as you are attempting

Here's what happens when you are double booting.

PC starts and after hardware initialization, it checks the master boot record on the primary drive, whcih directs it to the bootsector, which then loads the code that starts windows loading.

You are trying to load windows from an external drive, which requires the USB to be functioning...since the USB driver is loaded by Windows in a later stage, it is not available for use and windows vista cannot initiate the port or the drive so it cannot run

algypalgy

algypalgy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks gerryf (hope I got that right). Thats interseting! What if I deactivated the C:\\ Drive (though the HDD I'm trying to install to is Active, has a MBR, and is setup to boot from the Bios)? God this is so confusing!! However, is there anyway I can setup a Partition on my C:\\ Drive, with out the XP PRO Disk Manager giving me this option? Or is there a way to force the Disk Manager to give me this option? What if I Uninstall Acronis Disk Manager Suite?

Sorry to go on, but I can't wait to get my grubby little old hands on the new Vista OS.

Many thanks for the advise, Algypalgy.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

...However, is there anyway I can setup a Partition on my C:\\ Drive, with out the XP PRO Disk Manager giving me this option?

did you see this?

http://www.geekstogo...t=0#entry717195

I wonder about the acronis disk manager, though.....I am familiar with acronis trueimage, but not Disk Manager....I think it writes a new, custom boot sector?

algypalgy

algypalgy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again gerryf, I will go away and study, though from a quick scan it looks as if its a solution.

Many thanks, will let you know how I get on, Algypalgy

algypalgy

algypalgy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again gerryf. I went away and studied your solution, then implemented it: IT WORKED, took quite a bit of time though. Biggest problem was trying to get GParted Live CD to reboot, after an hour of waitung I finally bit the bullet and forced a full system reboot, then rebooted using GParted Live CD, then waited another 30 minutes and forced another full system reboot, but this time it worked. So headed in to ChckDisk, rebooted again.

Started the Vista Install - no problems at all, now going through the Setup thing with all those Drivers you talked about!!

Anyway I'm extremely grateful for all your help, especially now I have got my grubby old hands on VISTA and looking forward to some great fun testing it in as many ways I can.
Again many thanks, Algypalgy.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to hear it worked...kind of curious about the gpartd not working....never failed me, but perhaps you have a newer system that is not 100 percent compatible with the linux kernal used

There is another free partitioning program that I have only begun testing

http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

call "partition logic"

But I have not tested it as much