Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icon removal

• Please log in to reply

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have an Icon (actually 2,both the same) on the desktop that I have not been able to remove. I can't delete,move,copy,rename,send to, etc. I started to download a program from a trusted site and because it was loading so slowly I stopped the download. An Icon from the program was on the desktop but it showed 0 bytes. When I right click on the Icon, click properties, program, advanced a window pops up titled "Windows PIF Settings". Below that - Custom MS-DOS initialization files. Autoexec filename -- %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. Config filename -- %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. BTW both Icons are for UBCD4WinV30.exe. I can't find any adverse effect to my system. I just don't like seeing the extra Icons sitting there.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Go to explorer>desktop> try to delete/move the icons from there.

Any luck?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No. "Can't delete it is being used by another person or program". Other person doesn't apply so it must be another program that is the problem.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Open taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del). is the process UBCD4WinV30.exe running by any chance? If it is, kill the process and try deleting the icon again from explorer.

hope it works.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No. UBCD4WinV30.exe is NOT running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mountaineer 62...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then , SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Explorer, then Desktop, then NameSpace.

Under NameSpace you will see a number if hexidecimal keys. Click on them one at a time and look in the right pane for the name of the icon in question. When you find it, delete the hexidecimal key in the left pane by right clicking on it and choosing "Delete".

Note: Any time you modify the registry, it is highly recommended that you export a backup of the registry by clicking on "File" on the toolbar, selecting "Export" from the menu, and saving it to a location you will remember.

wannabe1

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Went to the registry location and found the following:

Name------------------------------------Data

Default-----------------------Computer Search Results folder

Default--------------------------------ReplayTV

Removal [email protected],-900

Default-----------------------------Recycle bin

Default-------------------------Search Results Folder

Total of 5 hex keys. None of them had te name of the Icons.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nuke it!

Move on Boot

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. All seeing all knowing Great One!

Are there any times that one shouldn't use this method for deleting files?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Use it only on the files that won't delete normally. :whistling:

Oh, and...you are quite welcome! :blink:

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks again. I'll try to get back to the thread I started the other day on Windows XP PRO vs Media Center Edition. Probably this Friday

Juniper35

Juniper35

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a really old thread but I'm having the exact same problem. And I just wanted to make sure that I don't delete the wrong thing.

Was it the "removal message" @mydoc.dll -900 that is to be deleted? Because that's the only thing that is in those folders for me.