Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet not working well

• Please log in to reply

zoltain

zoltain

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I just finished cleaning my computer of malwear, but now my internet has been running slowly. (I expecially notice it in online games but it is also evident just surfing the web). Any help would be much appreciated.

heres the link to where i cleaned my computer, it has all my logs in progression so maybe i did something i wasnt supposed to.

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry710051

Thxn again for ur help

Advertisements

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Hello Zoltain,

Download winsockfix here.
There you can also read about it. And please let it make an back-up first and then click on fix.

Thunderbird1988

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Ok something went terribly wrong, i used winsockfix. When i tried to backup it had errors beacking up. Then i didnt think much of it and hit fixed.... Then it asked me to restart my comp so i hit ok. Now it wont start up, just goes to the screen as if u hit f8 and if u click start regularly it just turns off. I can only start in safe mode.

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Try this: Go to Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow (don't forget the space between sfc and /scannow) and hit OK. Let it scan. If it finds any files missing/corrupted, it may ask for the Windows CD.

Thunderbird1988

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Umm well i turned on my computer today and it started up properly, so thats was good, but the internet still isnt fixed. (also i dont have the service pack 2 cd, i downloaded it). Thnx

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
I am happy, your computer starts up correctly, now your internet is still slow, I think the source of the problem isn't your computer. What kind of connection do you have? (cable, (a)dsl, dial-up)

Thunderbird1988

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Cable, its a possibility its not my computer, but it started right after i cleaned my computer and thats alittle fishy...

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Can you tell me exactly after which step you got slow internet?

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I cant say for sure but im 95% positive it was the first or second step

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Well when the computer is your problem, I don't know what the source of your problem might be. I thought that maybe Zonealarm slowed down your connection. But if you have another computer, can you connect it to your router? If the connection is also slow we know it is not your computer which is the problem and if the
connection is faster, then we know your computer is the problem.

Thunderbird1988

Edited by Thunderbird1988, 15 July 2006 - 02:08 PM.

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
It is definately my computer that is the problem because i have abotu 4 other computeres in my house all able to connect to the internet perfectly.

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
I am sorry, but at this moment I have no idea what I can do to resolve your problem. All the things I know what is able to repair an internetproblem in a computer did we already tried or will not help. Maybe another person will help you further. When I found something that can help you I will post it.

Thunderbird1988