Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New CPU Fan running Full Blast

• Please log in to reply

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Today I installed my new Thermaltake Polo 735 and connected it to a manual speed control knob that goes to my PCI slot. Was running good for about 15mins i left it at around 2000rpms, went to play a game to test its cooling so turned it up slightly to around 3000rpms when a few seconds later I hear it rev up by itself to full speed, the knob doesnt wanna function anymore either and its not slowing down. Tried rebooting, tried opening the case to make sure everything is connected fine and it all looks good. Its still running full speed at 5500rpms and as you can imagine its loud as [bleep].

Can anyone help me out to what the problem might be?

Right now the fan is connected to the pci knob and my motherboard, wondering if maybe the motherboard is somehow overiding the speed? and if so why didnt it do it right off the bat but 15mins later or so....

Edited by jigga211, 10 July 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
First if you have an Asus mobo enable Qfan Technology in Bios, most other mobo's have some sort of simliar feature
Second download speedfan, and try to tone down the speed through software.
Unplug all the wires and replug it
What's your processor temperature?
If all else fails than maybe your control knob or something is broken....

jigga211

jigga211

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
My Motherboard is MSI 865 PE Neo-2 PS Series, checked out my motherboards manual I dont see any function that described anything for fan settings except under "PC Health" where it shows me what my fan is running at and the overall health of my PC.
Also I used to have an Asus mobo previously and skimmin thru my old manual i dont even see any "Qfan Technology" option there.

Downloaded speedfan, not sure how to use it tho. Can you tell me what I should be setting and where?
Guessing something under "Configure"?
Or is it as simple as using the up and down % arrow for Speed02 since its "Fan2" on the first tab?
And should "automatic fan speed" be checked?
Right now its showing Fan2: 5600RPM. Temp1:5C - not sure what that is. Temp2:25C thats my CPU, Temp3:36C thats my System, HD1:30C doesnt show temp for HD2 tho but it does find it when proggy loads.

Will try to unplug all the wires, by that u mean the fan wires right? which would be the 3pin for the motherboard and the 1 pin for the knob for me and 1 to powersupply.

My Processor temp is low like 25-26 C even at 20C sometimes so its deff not overheating if thats what your thinking.

As for the knob i really doubt its broken because as i said i havent played with it enuf to even consider it broken. I had it at 2000 rpms, then put it up to 3000 and it changed to full speed by itself after like 2mins. When trying to restart my PC to see if it would make it work, upon bootup i tried the knob again just slightly turning it to see if i get a response and it was almost as tho I heard it trying to slow down for a second slightly but as tho something was taking over and keeping it at full.

Edited by jigga211, 10 July 2006 - 11:42 PM.