Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop: lights flashing, wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
preliminary information:

1. I have a Dell clunker laptop, celeron processor, the el cheapo model. Cost around $800.

2. I rarely turn it off; usually put it in hibernate until next use

3. I leave it plugged into the wall whenenver I dont use it

4. On the front are three LED lights: one for "using battery/low battery" one for "power on" and one for "recharging"

I've had this laptop for two and some years now. Never had any problem.

Today I left it as usual, plugged in, hibernating.
As far as I know there was no power surge or anything.

When I came back from work all three LED lights were flashing like crazy at the same time, and the computer wouldn't turn on.

I unplugged it and tried again. It wouldn't turn on.

I tried a different outlet. At first, it flashed just the 'low battery' and then the 'charging' lights and started charging normally and looked fine.

But when I came back later the lights were flashing and it wouldn't boot up.

Help? What is wrong with my computer, and how did it happen, and is there any hope?

Edited by howlleo, 10 July 2006 - 06:46 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well couple of ideas.... you could try pulling the battery and just run it off of the plug..... note some laptops don't like that, not sure about your model.... I have seen some batteries do strange things like that when they die.... You could also try going to dells website or check your documentation and see if you can find out what the blink code for that model is..... Depending on your skill you could also try removing the hard drive and see if it has any life..... maybe the hard drive is bad and causing the rest of the computer from not booting.... Same with the RAM though if you remove all the ram and it doesn't have built in ram of any kind it won't boot either... failing all that I'd say either you power supplyis bad ( you could at least check the voltages with a DMM if you know how to do that ) or its going to be the motherboard and then you'd probably be better off buying a new one... unless you are still under warranty...