Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Installing Drivers for Network Card

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
Hello there,

I'll start from the start. I am trying to transfer some files from my old computer (Windows 95) to my new computer (Windows XP). I have chosen the option of doing a network with network cards as I was planning to network them together in the future anyway.

Today I went into my dad's work and the tech guy there gave me a hub, some network cable, a network card (for the Windows 95 computer that doesn't have one) and the drivers for it. I'm not sure if the drivers were made for Windows XP OS or Windows 95, but I need them for Windows 95 as it's going on a Windows 95 computer.

So I went home and I put the network card into the Windows 95 computer and turned it on. It asked to install the drivers and I put the CD in. While it was trying to find the drivers all over the place a message came up saying that something had performed an illegal opperation and needed to be shut down. Of course I had not choice but to click close. Nothing that I could see closed and the search for the drivers ended but it said that I could browse for them. So I browsed for them on the CD and then it found them. It started to install it and then it said that it needed another disc with another file on it or something. Then around two more illegal opperation messages were displayed and everything closed. I was left with a blank light blue (the colour of the desktop) screen and the only thing showing was a minimised icon of Norton Antivirus in the bottem lefthand side of the screen.

I restarted the computer and tried this around two-three more times and it still didn't work.

I went onto the new computer and went onto GeekstoGo Online Chat Help. I asked for some help and someone said something about the drivers and that they might not be compatible with Windows 95. He sent me a link to a site where I downloaded a new driver. The site was: http://members.drive...0a83460eec7bde3

It downloads automatically when you click on it. So I downloaded those new drivers and I repeated the process the same thing happened - Illegal opperation at the start of trying to find the drivers. I browsed for the new ones on the CD. Found them. Started to install. Needed another disc and then two more Illegal opperation messages and everything closed again.

The old computer was on the internet for quite a while and we didn't really scan it for virus's or spyware. Do you think that it would be a virus etc. causing the problem? The old computer isn't connected to the internet anymore (- the network is going to acheive this) so I can't just download the AV programs and the spyware finder programs onto the old computer with the updates. Would it work if I copied the whole directory of each program and put it onto a CD and ran it on the old computer. I don't think most of the AV and spyware scanner makers websites say that it can run on Windows 95 though. Should I try though.

Thankyou for reading this and thankyou for your help,

~Matt :-)

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there matty3, I have noticed that you have posted double. I take it that this is because you were not sure where to post your reply, but no worrys your posts will be taken care of.

For now, will everyone please reply here:
http://www.geekstogo...s...=121262&hl=

Thank you, this post will be closed shortly. :whistling: