Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Video Card and Mobo can't get out of SAFE MODE

• Please log in to reply

MarEo

MarEo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just installed my Hard Drive into my new PC .. I got an Abit sli Mobo with an AMD x2 3800 and BFG Nvidia GeForce 6600 oc (512) I haven't been able to do anything other than use Safe mode I tried too many things and have no idea what to do to stop this problem. I turn the computer on and I can either go regular or safe mode but if I choose regular the computer restarts and I am forced to use Safe mode. In safe mode my screen is completely black with safe mode on all four corners

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really cant just install a HD in a newer computer with the old operating system still on the drive. Its a miracle it even boots at all. I have done this with a win 95 computer and it would not even boot to safe mode after the first time i booted the computer. I think the driver conflicts killed the OS. I have also done this with a few win 98 puters but theay all had problems to the point i just wiped the drive and reinstalled windows. Its a lot easier than trying to fix all the problems.

I'm assuming your using XP and you will still have the same problems. It's time to find a XP cd and reinstall.

SRX660

MarEo

MarEo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well then it must be obvious I'm an idiot.. I built my friends PC and transferred his old HD to his new set up and it worked fine but it was a similar set up to his old PC .. What im doing is taking my hard drive from a 4 year old piece of junk into this new Photoshop Beast. So you think it would be best to just reinstall windows ? and is there a site where I can download a clean copy of windows I have an original and genuine serial number but can't find my CD. thanks for the help and if anyone has any other suggestions let me know I could use the help.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You will need a windows install cd. You cannot transfer the license & coa from your old computer to the new one. You will need to get a legitimate licensed copy of windows for the new pc.