Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stuck on XP-wont show login icons

• Please log in to reply

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
You mean you are logged in, but you see nothing on your desktop?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hit control-alt-del to bring up taskmanager

under processes, is there an explorer.exe process running?

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

You mean you are logged in, but you see nothing on your desktop?

Yes, blank desktop. I can log in andout with different users. The Task Manager dont have anything under log in name, no EXPLORER.EXE or anything.

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

hit control-alt-del to bring up taskmanager

under processes, is there an explorer.exe process running?

No explorer.exe or any thing under the user name.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
from within task manager

File > new task
explorer.exe
<enter>

does your desktop load

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

from within task manager

File > new task
explorer.exe
<enter>

does your desktop load

it flashes the TASK bar then went away, back to blank desk top

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

from within task manager

File > new task
explorer.exe
<enter>

does your desktop load

it flashes the TASK bar then went away, back to blank desk top

any other suggestion??

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

from within task manager

File > new task
explorer.exe
<enter>

does your desktop load

As you can see in the attached picture I can start a DOS windows but the EXPLORER wont work. I can see it show the TASK BAR as soon as I run EXPLORER.EXE but it closes itself right away. I am to a point that I just about to start over. But the DELL XP CD does not allow me to reinstall fresh OS. If you have any suggestion that you think it will work then I will try to repair the desktop. Here are what I have in the PC. 2 HD and 2 CD/DVD DRIVEs. C,D are on one HD. E and F are the CD/DVD drives. G: is the second harddrive also has OS installed on. The G: drive is the OEM 40GB come with DELL, along with the 2 CD drives (of course I replace one of them with the DVDRW/DL 3 days ago and that's where all the trouble begins), and I added 160 GB which is where C: and D:. I just look at the CMOS something is very strange. The Primary MAster it knows the 40 GB but the Primary Slave say OFF and I could not set to drive, it does not know. I dont know what happen here but in WINDOW mode it knows every drive.

Remember when I did the REPAIR option using the XP CD, it shows E:\WINDOWS\. But now in DOS window on the blank desktop it shows G: is where WINDOW dir. resides. Could it be that somehow in the registry it change the drive letter where WINDOWS resides that 's why the desktop is gone?

nodesktop.jpg

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Ok, let me get this straight:
When you bought the PC, there was a 40 GB HD attached and 2 CD drives.
3 days ago you changed 1 CD drive with a DVD drive and added a 160 GB HD.

You should check in BIOS:
- your 40GB Dell HD is primary master (and therefore C:\ drive)
- your CD and DVD drives can be a) secondary master (CD) and slave (DVD)
or b) one CD can be primary slave and the other CD/DVD can be secondary master
- your 160GB can be primary slave (a) or secondary slave (b)

you realy need to check the jumpers on your HD's and CD/DVD's

greets

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

greets

not quite:

3 days ago I changed the DCRW to DVDRW. All the drives were there before. I added 160BG a long time ago so this got nothing to do with the problem I have. I wsa checking the CMOS and I find it strange how it show in the CMOS. I have changed nothing any jumpers. The jumper on the OEM CDRW was on CS (computer select) and so is my new DVDRW and this is the only thing I exchange. Remember that after theDVDRW put in the PC boot normal. It all screw up when I intsall Roxio 6 and it had to remove ver 5. When it rebooted after removing ver 5 the desktop never comes back and it suppose to come back to complete or to start install ver 6. All I know when I click on SETUP.EXE to run installation of version 6 it asked to remove ver 5 and I clicked YES. When it was done, it asked to reboot to continue with ver 6 and that was it.

Advertisements

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

greets

not quite:

3 days ago I changed the DCRW to DVDRW. All the drives were there before. I added 160BG a long time ago so this got nothing to do with the problem I have. I wsa checking the CMOS and I find it strange how it show in the CMOS. I have changed nothing any jumpers. The jumper on the OEM CDRW was on CS (computer select) and so is my new DVDRW and this is the only thing I exchange. Remember that after theDVDRW put in the PC boot normal. It all screw up when I intsall Roxio 6 and it had to remove ver 5. When it rebooted after removing ver 5 the desktop never comes back and it suppose to come back to complete or to start install ver 6. All I know when I click on SETUP.EXE to run installation of version 6 it asked to remove ver 5 and I clicked YES. When it was done, it asked to reboot to continue with ver 6 and that was it.

Additional Note (based on you think the primary master with 40GB should be C: like a normal PC): Please dont take this and try to think this has something to do with the problem I asked for help. Let me tress the point again. I did not changed any thing 3 days ago except replacing the OEM CDRW with my new DVDRW/DL. At this point the PC boot up with no problem. The blank desktop happened when I installed Roxio 6 and it asked to remove Roxio 5 already existed in the system.
Here is the reason the boot drive (Primary MAster 40GB) is not C:\
I think because the CDdrive and the DVD drive are (were and are, I did not changed any of these jumpers) both set on CS not SLAVE or MASTER like in normal configuration. Therefore my 40GB is G: even though it is on Primary IDE and set as MASTER. And the 160GB has two partitions as C and D. I dont understand either but I never set to CS on anything before. So I think it must be the reason why it is.

So here are what I have:
C and D are two partitions from 160GB set as primary slave
E is CDROM drive
F is my new DVDRW/DL
G is the OEM Prmary Master 40GB

Just want you know what it is but I dont think we should worry why the drives labels like this. Because it is like that before the problem occurs.

I still think when Roxio 6 remove ver 5 and reboot the system it must have delete or screw up something in the registry. Dont Microsoft has some program to rebuild the desktop if it corrupts which I think it is.

trimtran20147

trimtran20147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

greets

not quite:

Additional Note (based on you think the primary master with 40GB should be C: like a normal PC): Please dont take this and try to think this has something to do with the problem I asked for help. Let me tress the point again. I did not changed any thing 3 days ago except replacing the OEM CDRW with my new DVDRW/DL. At this point the PC boot up with no problem. The blank desktop happened when I installed Roxio 6 and it asked to remove Roxio 5 already existed in the system.
Here is the reason the boot drive (Primary MAster 40GB) is not C:\
I think because the CDdrive and the DVD drive are (were and are, I did not changed any of these jumpers) both set on CS not SLAVE or MASTER like in normal configuration. Therefore my 40GB is G: even though it is on Primary IDE and set as MASTER. And the 160GB has two partitions as C and D. I dont understand either but I never set to CS on anything before. So I think it must be the reason why it is.

So here are what I have:
C and D are two partitions from 160GB set as primary slave
E is CDROM drive
F is my new DVDRW/DL
G is the OEM Prmary Master 40GB

Just want you know what it is but I dont think we should worry why the drives labels like this. Because it is like that before the problem occurs.

I still think when Roxio 6 remove ver 5 and reboot the system it must have delete or screw up something in the registry. Dont Microsoft has some program to rebuild the desktop if it corrupts which I think it is.

7/13 9:17pm

update: I can get RegEDit up from Task Manager. Why the Explorer still does not work! Is there anything I can look in the Registry???