Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 95

• Please log in to reply

JudyBTurtle

JudyBTurtle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[b][color=#FF0000]I am trying to uninstall Windows 95 and upgrade to Windows XP. There is no uninstall in Add/Remove and I have tried doing the prompt thing. I typed in "cd windows", then "cd command", then "smartdrv", and when I typed in "uninstal.exe"....it said it was wrong. So now I am confused. Did I do something wrong? I followed the exact outline not once, but 3 times and got the same results. Thanks for any help.

Edited by JudyBTurtle, 11 July 2006 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JudyBTurtle...

You shouldn't need to uninstall Win95 (and if it's the only OS installed there will be no option to do so) from the machine to upgrade to XP. Have you tried just putting the XP installation cd in the machine and letting it run?

wannabe1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have a Windows 95 CD and a Retail copy of Windows XP (that is, you bought it from Amazon or wherever) then you can upgrade to XP that way, and it will also want to wipe the disk as well.

This is the only way one can upgrade to XP from Windows 95 - boot off the XP Retail CD, follow the prompts, Setup will ask you for a CD belonging to a previous version of Windows, put your Win95 CD in, put the XP CD back in when asked, follow through. You cannot do this from within Windows 95 itself - it will claim that its unsupported. One has to boot off the CD. Official documentation will claim that this cannot be done with the Windows 95 CD-ROM, but it does work and works with any upgrade CD you use regardless of what Service Packs you have on it.

The OEM version of XP will insist, when you boot off the CD, on wiping the disk with no option to upgrade being given anywhere across the board. Once again, it cannot be done from within Windows 95 as it will claim that there's no upgrade path.

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 July 2006 - 03:53 PM.