Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband Internet running under 56k

• Please log in to reply

NDMatt18

NDMatt18

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a huge issue right now with my internet connection. We have comcast high speed, but as of late it is running unbearably slow, worse than 56k. Sometimes pages wont load or wont recognize, sometimes the internet will freeze and then not respond, and if there is pictures or anything of that sort on the website im trying to load it will move very slowly or not at all. We called comcast and they said everything was running fine and that it might be our router. We have a Netgear router. We tried calling them but the guy we talked to made no sense and wanted us to run a bunch of tests and diagnostics I guess which, being only moderately educated about computers, I could not figure out. I can post my computer information later on if it will help because right now I am at work.

Also, I play online games such as Counter Striek and Day of Defeat. The connection seems to run fine on them. :whistling: I dont understand why I still can have a good ping or latency in a game but a horrible internet connection. The rest of my computer seems to be running fine as well. Although it has been faster but I have not done a defrag or disc cleanup in a few weeks. Nor have I done an adaware scan in about 2 weeks.

Please help. :blink:

Thanks.

Advertisements

NDMatt18

NDMatt18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I recently cleaned out my system (defrags, virus scans, tune up scan, protection scan, etc.) but the internet is still running slowly. Can anyone help me?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It sounds silly, but I've done it before... You haven't set up a proxy you have forgot about have you? I did that and ended up reformatting, only realising afterwards!

~Sam

NDMatt18

NDMatt18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I dont believe I have set up a proxy. Is there a way I can check that?