Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage is constantly between 75-98%!

• Please log in to reply

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm hoping that I've got this right? Magnifying glass looks like a pair of glasses that said "view" under the icon?
Anyway attache is what I got. Fingers crossed this is the right thing! :whistling:

Advertisements

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm hoping that I've got this right? Magnifying glass looks like a pair of glasses that said "view" under the icon?
Anyway attache is what I got. Fingers crossed this is the right thing! :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just went thru your log again...you have AVG and mcaffee...

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AVG7_Run = C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE

you cant run 2 antivirus programs..they will fight ...turn off one ..I would turn off Mcaffee

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There's nothing attached... :blink:

This is what Filemon looks like, and the Magnifying glass is on the left side by the floppies.

Posted Image

Hopefully happyrck is correct, and then we won't need Filemon. But there may be more to it than just conflicting Anti-virus programs. If the problem persists after turning one of them off (I say McAfee), then attach the Filemon log.

If you have any trouble attaching it, you can e-mail it to me at computerwiz12890(at)hotmail(dot)com

Just replace the (at) and (dot) with their respective symbols @ and . This is to avoid spam-bots. :whistling:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok so trying to attch that log again. Here you go. Hope this was what you meant? :whistling:

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I got it this time. :whistling:

At first glance it looks like corruption. I haven't had time to thoroughly investigate it, so it could even be an infection.

Until then, do the following:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If that doesn't work, do the following:

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi!

Did what you said with the tune up. CPU is still working it's toosh off. Slight problem with the second option you had there. Don't have the windows disc :whistling:
No idea where it is and I'm actually pretty sure I never got one when I got the laptop (present from ebay, everything installed).
Any luck with that filmon log?
Thank you so much for all your help :blink:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'll have to give that filemon log a thorough look once I get off of work :whistling:

Until then, try downloading and installing this:

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

If your internet explorer is indeed corrupt, this may repair it. Plus, if you don't already have this patch, it would be wise to install it for extra protection. :blink:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Oooh just tried to download that and it said that "Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on the system. Set-up cannot continue."
I generally don't use Explorer, usually use mozilla firefox and never had a problem..... ?
Gawd I hate being so clueless with this kind of thing! Not to worry. We'll get there! You're such a gem!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have IE7 beta then thats your problem..there have been lots of people with problems assocciated with the "new" IE....try going to control panel...add/remove programs...on the left hand side...add or remove windows components...uncheck ...messenger..internet explorer...fax service...indexing service...networking service(if your not on a network)...other network file and print service...and outlook express..then click next and let it do its thing..when done reboot and see how its working

Advertisements

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:whistling: Still having a heart attck. CPU not moving from 100%.
My computer hates me I SWEAR to gawd!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you do what I asked...?

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
yep. removed the lot and rebooted. CPU still at 100%.

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Is there a possibility that there's something that kind of hiding/attched itself to the csrss.exe? Because when I look at processed on task manager, that's the one that's going the most mental. Around 70-85% constantly. I know that it's an integral part of a running process for windows but has there been a virus that attches itself to that, masking itself as the csrss.exe?
Or something. I'm grasping at straws aren't I. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes its possible...lets do a few online scans..
go here and do the online tests

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/