Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage is constantly between 75-98%!

• Please log in to reply

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Right, did the sfc thing, and magic, like you said it asked for the disc. Yeesh! Ran the chkdcs thing too and it's still going mental.
So ready and waiting for that spank batch thingy you were talking about!

Got everything crossed for that one!!!!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Hey Wiz, HappyRck got me to eable active x controls and java yaddah yaddah on my internet security options. Are they ok to leave or should I turn them all back to what they were?

Turn them back to defaults. They won't affect the fixing of your problem, but let's put them back to defaults in order to avoid any future problems with programs/sites that use Active X or Java.

Right, did the sfc thing, and magic, like you said it asked for the disc.

Which confirms my suspicion. It is definately corruption, just as I thought :whistling:

So ready and waiting for that spank batch thingy you were talking about!
Got everything crossed for that one!!!!

The batch "fix" is a total long shot. I've been experimenting with the files that are apparently corrupt on your computer. They don't seem very critical, except for 2 of them. And even then, I've created the batch file on the assumption that your files should be identical to mine. But of course, as we all know, no two computers are the same. So...as I said...this is a long shot. Those 2 "critical" files could not be deleted or replace on my computer. Even if this fix was the solution, we may run into that problem: being unable to replace those 2 files.

Here is my batch file, along with the copies of the files on my computer that are good. It is in a zipped (compressed) folder. Open the compressed (zipped) folder, which is called "fix". Right-click on the folder inside of it, which is also called "fix" and select cut. Now go to My Computer. Then double-click on the C: drive. Now Right-click in an empty (white) area on the window and select Paste.

After the folder is copied, double-click on the file called fix me. It will now apply my fix.

If it does not work, which I strongly believe it won't, you will have to find a friend who has an XP CD, or maybe even buy one for yourself. The only way we could avoid using the XP CD would possibly be through removing each and every one of your Windows updates. That would include Internet Explorer 7, if that's installed. (which I think you said it was.) This would be long and complicated, but it does have a high chance of working, though not guaranteed. The XP CD would definately fix the problem, but this might work too, if you cannot locate an XP CD to borrow.

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi there!
Tried ur batch file. It said two things. It said "The system cannon find the file specified" and "A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found."

SO! I'm going to try and track down a windows disc. Will ask around today at work etc etc and will let you know asap. We'll get to the bottom of this thing :whistling:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Right, so one of the girls at work has given me her windows XP disc. The only concern I have is thatit's for a Dell computer (and I dun have a dell!). It says on it "Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer.."

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If it's similar to the Dell CD that I have, it may work just fine. As long as it has the correct version of XP, including the Service Pack that was originally with your computer.

Put the CD in and then proceed with using Windows File Protection:

Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. When it is finished, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists. If you have any trouble running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

If it doesn't work, our next step will be to do a repair, but we will have to be very, very careful since this is not the CD for your computer. Wait for my instructions before we attempt the repair, and...if possible, back up all your important data. Doing a repair will never delete your data, but since this is not the CD for your computer, I'd rather err on the side of caution. :whistling:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ah you're a wee GEM! Fingers crossed. I'm at work at the mo but will give it a bash the second I get home and will let you know. :whistling:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm just about ready to throw this thing out the [bleep] window! :whistling:
Popped the disc in and let it do its thing. A window popped up saying "windows file protection " "Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions"

Let it go, rebooted....and still that [bleep] csrss.exe is going mental.
Looks like we will have to do the repair.

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
that's so funny that d a m n got bleeped out. pfff!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
This is a "G" rated site, no cussing at all. Don't attempt to bypass the bleeping, or one of the moderators will come after you :whistling:

Before you do the repair, I suggest you backup all your important data. Repairing Windows will not delete your data, but if you choose the wrong thing... And then considering it is a Dell CD, instead of a true XP CD...I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I realize it may be hard to backup, since you have high CPU usage. Going into Safe Mode may help you to backup your data faster. However, there are certain things that are disabled in Safe Mode, so you may not be able to burn CDs...

Now for the repair. I want you to do it VERY SLOWLY and READ CAREFULLY.

Here is the link to do the repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Read it carefully and watch the pictures. If the pictures do not match what is on your screen, let me know and I will guide you. The only exception is you will see "Home Edition" rather than "Professional" (you'll see what I mean) and you won't see the yellow guidelines of what to press. :blink:

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 July 2006 - 04:58 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you really do need a XP CD with the hologram on it...do your best to locate one...if you can get one with SP2...it will eliminate any version problems .... if you cant then get this

Download this bootable 7Mb .iso for a bootable Recovery Console:

RC.iso get it here

: www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

you will need to burn a .ISO image...its not hard..a simple.....no frills ...free one ....is BURNCDCC...

http://burncdcc.en.s...ic.com/ie/34072

Edited by happyrck, 25 July 2006 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok. So, *sigh*...... I used the instructions that you gave me the link for. It did it's thing and rebooted to complete the set up. Then it kept coming up with this message "Setup cannot copy the file (see list below for all the ones it came up with). Ensure that the disc labelled Windows XP home edition Service Pack 2 is inserted or provide location where file can be found."
Everytime that happened I had no idea where to find the files to I hit cancel and it kept going...here are all the files it came up with (ps the disc I had in WAS Service Pack 2)
migregdb.ex
omemlogo.gi
i3codecp.acm
eula.txt
wmb10.chm
icwtutor.ex
icwres.dl
trialoc.dl
oobeinfo.in
msccw.is
msn.is
support.ic
msobshel.ht
phone.ic
phone.vc
state.ic
isignup.ex
lcwconn1.ex (l at start might be an i, can't quite read my own writing?!)
lcwconn2.ec (" ")
lcwutil.dl (" ")
lcwrmind.ex (" ")
lcwdl.dl (" ")
lcwip.du (" ")
lcwx25c.du (" ")
lcwonn.dl (that one could be totally wrong, again my handwriting!)
inetwiz.ex
ichelp.dl
lcwx25a.du
lcwx25b.du
wmperr10.chm
wmplayer.adm

Then it started up and asked for the product code for the windows disc and kept wanting to register the windows disc or something. And seeing as I don't have the product code it just shut down and took me back to the log in page. So now I can't get in at all! (using a friends laptop at the mo) So I have my computer running in safe mode at the moment.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? :cry:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try repairing windows ....it sounds like you tried installing windows...what exactly did you do

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I can get my hands on a generic XP disc with all the product codes etc etc...it will just take a while....coz it's in another country! I'm tipping if I have just the generic one it will all be ok. But we'll see! Will take about a week to get to me so will let you know how I go once it's all fixed up. Fingers crossed! (again!)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you do a repair on windows you don't need a product keycode...its only if you are trying to do a complete reinstall that you would need the keycode...try this

SFC /SCANNOW-WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION

Windows XP has the ability to protect itself from system instability caused by the overwriting important system files. This is a problem with Windows 95 and Windows 98. With the introduction of Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft made a strong effort to stop this from happening. Now, in Windows XP, there is a much better protection of these important files. This system is called Windows File Protection

Windows File Protection is always enabled and allows Windows digitally signed files to replace existing files safely. If you introduce a file replacement in any other way, Windows File protection will overwrite your file!

An important part of Windows File Protection is the command line utility: System File Checker (sfc.exe) This is a great tool for troubleshooting Windows XP problems.

USING SFC /SCANNOW

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file. Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in: sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and make sure of their correctness, replacing any files that it finds with a problem.

A box should appear to give an indication of how long the process is taking.

If all goes as it should, any corrupt, missing or incorrect files would be replaced by this process. However, as with most actions in this world, things can go wrong and the following should help!

The most frequent complaint with scannow /sfc is that a dialog box appears asking you to insert your Windows XP CD-ROM to continue.

Why does this happen?

There are several settings in your computer's registry that are checked when you run scannow /sfc.

As stated before, the Windows File Protection constantly monitors for any changes to the main system files. These are usually stored in:C:WINDOWSSystem32Dllcache (C: in most cases is the root drive)

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you! To view it go to:

* My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache.

But, if the Dllcache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason then you will be prompted for the XP CD - so your computer can get a clean copy!

However, not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder! You may only have around 25-50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the settings in the registry.

HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, you should have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on your hard drive. After doing this, it is quite simple to modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files.

This prevents 99% of requests for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection and the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD,as well.

HOW TO PUT I386 ON YOUR ROOT DRIVE:

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C: so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:I386

Step 2

Your computer needs to know that you now have the necessary files on your PC. This is done by editing the registry. Here's how: (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu)

By navigating to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C: Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change to the drive letter of your root drive, probably C:

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Repair XP Installation without Clean Install:
Configure your computer BIOS to start from the CD-ROM drive at bootup.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.
You will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates including SP1 and DX9, plus retweak most (but not all) things all over again.

The advantage here is that you will not have to spend hours reinstallindg all your programs again, as well as setting them up.........
--

Edited by happyrck, 26 July 2006 - 01:45 PM.