Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage is constantly between 75-98%!

• Please log in to reply

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
that's exactly what I did the first time, what you just said in post #75. Will try it again though....running it again now....

Advertisements

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
After is does it's thing it says that "your computer will reboot in x seconds and the Setup will resume."

So it reboots....and then goes to an all blue screen with the following, kind of like 'check points' along the left hand side saying "collecting information. dynamic update, preparing installation (even though I never selevtged install, pressed R like you said) OInstalling Windows and Finalizing Installation."

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
it's saying the same error message:
"Setup cannot copy the file (file name..again there are a few it comes up with) " Ensure that the disk labeled 'windows xp home edition service pack 2 cd (which is in there) is in the drive selected below (D:) or provide the location where the file can be found."

Will the scannow run work in safe mode? Because I can't get in to windows at all anymore.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you see this part

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

do you have a xp installation to choose from..or only one...did you tap the #1 key if that was your only choice

Edited by happyrck, 26 July 2006 - 03:37 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Guess I get to kick back and relax while happyrick takes over :whistling:

Don't worry, I'm not leaving. If you get stuck, I'll be right behind you. :blink:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
jump in.... I'm booked...I've got a plateful right now ...got one open (hardware ) another in the thros of get cleaned in prep for SP2 with all the critical updates...so by all means jump in

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty then :whistling:

I think we're beyond SFC /scannow. Let's forget about that.

Did you backup all your data like I suggested?

Then it started up and asked for the product code for the windows disc and kept wanting to register the windows disc or something. And seeing as I don't have the product code it just shut down and took me back to the log in page.

That may have been a BIG mistake. When you do a repair, it WILL ask for your key. That windows key is usually found on the side of your computer or on the back of your computer on a sticker. If you see that sticker, write down the key (about 25 characters long) and try the repair again. I don't see why it was missing all those files (unless the CD was damaged), but let's try to let it go all the way this time.

Make sure your important files are backed up before proceding!

If you do not have a sticker, then you WILL have to buy an XP CD. Unless you have a recovery CD and want to use it. If you do have a sticker, and the repair doesn't work, you wil have to obtain a true XP CD.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 July 2006 - 09:04 PM.

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Will have a look for the sticker when I get home.
And yep, all my important documents have been burnt to disc...did that a looooong time ago. Better to be safe than sorry.
Either way I have a generic XP disc on it's way to me.
:whistling:

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Found the sticker, won't accept the code :blink: probably because it's a dell cd or something. So I have no puter til the generic disc gets to me which is on it's way in the mail. Which won't be until next week.
Thank you again for all your help. I'm sure we'll get there in the end!

:whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ah yes, that's true. So we will have to wait for the CD. :blink:

Let me know when it comes in :whistling:

Advertisements

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok, so I've now got the true XP cd, and have ran the repair. Once again (even though it is a true XP disc) it doesn't want to accept the code. However I have been able to go online, and restart the computer, so that's good! The bad news though, is that the CPU usage is still running at or just under 100% and the nasty csrss.exe is still running at around 80%, not too mention the fact that the hour glass is determined to hang around too... I'm starting to lose my marbles with this. What can I do now...? :whistling: Thanks again for all your help and above all patience.

Edited by Renna, 03 August 2006 - 02:37 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might try this again..

Go into the 'Power Options' applet by clicking Start/Control Panel/Power Options.
In the 'Power Schemes' pulldown, select 'Always On...OK your way out
Click OK.
reboot the system......no joy
then you will probably have to buy a copy of windows...costs about $90.00
Wait on computerwiz12890...maybe he has another idea
this is another thing to try before a complete reinstall of xp...

This might help... if your CPU usage is running at 100 pecent or close to it , you can bring up the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) - click on the processes tab at the top, click on the 'cpu' tab a couple of times until it puts the processes in order of usage with the highest at the top, and it will show you the rogue process at the top that's running at 97 percent of whatever. Then you can just select that process, and click 'end process'. Your CPU usage will return to normal, but this is just a temporary fix, and obviously the problem will reoccur when you restart the PC, but you can google the problem process and get to the bottom of the problem.

doing this may make windows crash but a reboot will fix that

Edited by happyrck, 03 August 2006 - 03:08 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Welcome back Renna

The XP CD you bought...did it come with a key code?

And...is the key on your sticker on your computer for the same XP as the CD you just bought?

Also...if the XP that is originally on your computer an OEM version, then the true full XP CD will not accept the key on the sticker...so you may have to purchase a key...which if I remember correctly...is just 10 or 20 dollars.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 03 August 2006 - 03:53 PM.

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ok, I'll purchase a key. The thing is though, the same problem is still there! The csrss.exe is going mental. I can't just end the process as happyrck says because it won't let me. Basically we are back where we started but worse off because now I have to pay for a product key. hmph! All that hard work and we've gotten no where :whistling:
I'm going to have to get the thing re-formatted aren't I... *sigh*

Renna

Renna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Sorry, to answer your question, the xp disc had the key code removed for some reason. The pack was from a computer at home (australia) and it was sent to me here (Uk) and I think the code is on the computer at home because there's not one on the pack.
Where do I actually buy a code from?