Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP NEEDED - SOUND ISN'T WORKING.

• Please log in to reply

Riot111

Riot111

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all.

When i try to use the sound on my computer, for example i go into windows media player and try to play a song, i get a error message saying the following:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another computer, or it might not be fuctioning properly."

I have had this error quite sometime now and have finally come and attempt to see whats wrong. Just to clairfy, the sound was working before this error came up.

Therefore, as mentioned in the error message, i must have a sound device for the sound to have worked before this error occured.
It can't be in use by another computer because this computer is idle.
If it isn't fuctioning properly, how can i check and how can i resolve the problem?

I do not have the cd's that were used to install the 'sound device' as this computer is very old and i may have mis-placed them.

PLEASE could someone help me on the situation, thanks in advance!

Riot

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

navigate to sound and game controllers

right click and uninstall the audio device

reboot

Riot111

Riot111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey gerryf.

I have got as far as :
'start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>'

But how can i 'navigate to sound and game controllers' when once opened (device manager) nothing is listed? How do i get to the sound and game controllers?

Riot

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
scrolling down, sound, video and game controllers is not there?

Riot111

Riot111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope. All that's listed literally is 'Device Manager on local computer' and when i click there, nothing happens. The rest is blank, nothing is listed.

Riot

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose HARDWARE, click DEVICE MANAGER

what do you see?

Riot111

Riot111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted Image

Riot

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
something wrong there...

could you copy devmgmt.msc to your desktop, zip it up and attach it...I think your msc file is corrupt

Riot111

Riot111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There you go.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, that file is fine

That means you likely are infected with malware...there are a couple of malware infections that make the device manager blank

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Riot111

Riot111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey! Thanks for the solutions! I can now see Sound,video and game controllers on the device manager!

Okay, so what do i do next as you were encially going to say?

Riot