Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BroadBand Question

• Please log in to reply

angels-high

angels-high

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi All

Just wondering, if I get Broadband via my TV supplier, what connection does it use.

They dont do wireless and I was wondering is it possible to take the cable and connect it to a wireless router perharps vias ethernet cable...is this possible or am I way out ?? - does wireless come into my home differently than standard BB@

I have laptop and dont want to have cables

Thanks

Gary

Advertisements

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

I posted this earlier but methinks in wrong place.

If I was to get Broadband via my Digital TV supplier, what connection does it use.

My supplier doesnt use supply wireless and I was wondering if I can connect maybe via ethernet cable to a wireless router or am I way off the mark. Does wireless come different than standard BB

Any advice appreciated

AH

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the modem they supply will either be USB or ethernet (possibly both)...cable is more likely to use ethernet connections for some reason so you could get a wireless router and plug the modem into that (instead of into your computer) but remember...you have to have an ethernet connection to configure the router for wireless access...so if your computer doesn't have an ethernet NIC then you'll need to get one

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One should be able to get a router that is compatible with the broadband and then use it wirelessly on the laptop. It'll just come down the cable and into the router.

Proper wireless broadband is the same idea as how Terrestrial TV works, only on a different level and with lots more relays as well.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello. I merged your threads together, as you were being helped by two people. Please don't start more than 1 topic for the same problem.