Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not quite sure where to put this, computer running far slower than it

• Please log in to reply

Astraeus123

Astraeus123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I'll get something straight right off the bat. I suck at technical stuff when it comes to PC's so you may have to put alot of things into caveman language.

My problem:

I have a relatively good machine that i bought specifically for games and gaming that required high end machines. It all started well and I was running all the latest games smoothly and perfectly. However, over time my computers performance has deteriorated to the point that i'm getting only a few fps on some games that used to run perfectly. A frew friends have said it could be malware or something else slowing down my performance but I don't really trust their judgement. Now, me being no techno-magician, I have no idea what causes this so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum section as i didn't know where else to put it.

Also this is my first post on your illustrious forums and i'd like to say what you guys do makes man and computer live in some magnificent utopian harmony, rather than us hitting our monitors with baseball bats.

Try and be patient as I really don't know my stuff and thanks in advance. :whistling:

Astraeus

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Astraeus123...

There are several things that can cause a gradual decline in performance, one of which is malware. To rule that out, you should visit our malware forum and let them help you check the machine over.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Astraeus123

Astraeus123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the fast reply and instructions :whistling: will be in touch if the malware forums can't aid me!