Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98 internet problem

• Please log in to reply

xex

xex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just moved out to my dad's in colorado, and when I got here the first thing I did was get cable internet for his computer, which has had it before and worked perfectly fine. Anyway, the problem is that whenever I boot up the internet works fine with firefox and ie, then like 15 or 20 minutes later it wont work anymore, yet my msn messenger still stays connected for like 20 mins past that... My modem still said everything was just fine and I was connected, yet I couldnt goto any sites. I tried switching from usb to a NIC card, same problem. So I ditched the cable internet, after 2 days of trying to fix this problem. The problem still happens tho, when I connect to aol it shares the 56k connection with firefox and IE for like 20 mins, then poof, gone. The internal AOL browser still works, as does my msn, but I would really like to get this fixed as I hate even using aol, let alone having to look at it.

The computer is a pentium II 450mhz with 384mb of ram... so it should have no problems running broadband. While I was searching google for an answer to this I came accross another person who posted the EXACT same problem as me, but nobody was nice enough to even post back with a "i dunno". If theres any other information you need from me, please dont hesitate to ask.

Edit: Oh and feel free to move this to internet, but ?I think it may be some kind of windows 98 issue, because the person who had the same problem as me had the same operating system.. It may not be, tho.

Edited by xex, 11 July 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xex...

Actually, I think there are some folks in the Networking forum that may be able to better help with this. I'll move it for you.

wannabe1

xex

xex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi xex...

Actually, I think there are some folks in the Networking forum that may be able to better help with this. I'll move it for you.

wannabe1

Is networking really the right place, since im on 56k and not connected to any other computers? :s

I know I had this problem when I had cable to, but it continued even after I dropped my cable.

Edited by xex, 11 July 2006 - 08:35 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
are you using the internet when it stops or is the machine sitting idle?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Open IE, click tools, options, connections, LAN Settings, and TICK automatically detect settings. Click ok, then ok again, reset, and retry.