Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Restarting

• Please log in to reply

jjm006

jjm006

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello -

I am running a computer put together by "some kid" - my mother-in-law gave it to me, because she gave up trying to figure out what was wrong.

I have XP running on it - no problems - but when I try to run a game like Star Wars Galaxies, it runs for a while, then faults with errors like "Multiple_IRP_Complete_Request", and Stop: 0x000000008E; 0xC0000005, 0x8056C91D, 0xF78EE914, 0X00000000).

Any thoughts? Let me know what info you need to help figure this one out...

Thanks!

-Justin

Advertisements

Dlc81

Dlc81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your lucky, i got it worse. I can even click on my game icons or my sys will reboot!!!!

Now what do i do?????

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well DLC, you can try editing your virtual memory settings. That *might* help - but hey, I am still kinda stranded with my problem anyways!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

List your temps and voltages in bios, then download and install Everast and tell us what cpu,mobo, ram and video card you have. This program will also list temps and voltages

Run memtest86 for at least 3passes and see how many errors there are, get it here

Rick

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Doby - let me run it today after work, and I'll post the results.

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, here's my PC specs. I haven't figured out how to run the memtest - do I have to boot from the floppy?

My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHZ (11x200) 3200+
Motherboard name: Asus A7N8x v2.0 deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394
Motherboard Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Memory: 1024 (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Award (08/19/03)
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8x (128MB); 3D Accel.
IDE Controller: NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller

Sensor Properties:
Tsystem 63 degrees F
Tcpu 100 degrees F
Tdiode 126 deg
Fcpu 4500 rpm
Vcore 1.66V
Vaux 1.66V
Vio 3.18V

CPU Clock seems to be running around 2190 MHz.

What additional information would be helpful? Thanks...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
jjm,

to make a memtest boot disk, extract the contents of the archive to a directory, then open a command line interface for that directory. Put a floppy in your floppy drive, and from the command line, type install.bat.

Follow the prompts.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Also, for what it's worth, I am unfamiliar with that CPU, but your temps and voltages look to be within normal parameters to me.

If you could, using Everest, check the display setting, and look under Windows Video, and check your driver version.

I believe you have an outdated videodriver and that is the cause of your problem.

drputer

drputer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeap, you are going to want to check out the video card and drivers. That is where I would look first. A similar problem happened to a client of mine, but he bought a new graphics card from a trade show and I just reinstalled the drivers and all the software and it fixed it. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes the others are right your temps and volts look good I always like to check these first especially temps so not to damage anything.

The others are also correct try and update the video driver first and see if that fixes the problem if not and being that we have know idea what the "kid" did with drivers during the initial install you might want to consider a format and reinstall of the OS to clean things up. The main thing here is did he install the correct chipset drivers but all drivers for all cards are important and could then also be reinstalled.

Memtest is still a good idea as well as checking for all the MS critical updates.

Rick

Advertisements

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey there -

Lots of great advise, thank you.

To answer some stuff....

The computer was wiped by me as soon as I got it. I then started from scratch with new software.

The Display driver is nv4_disp (6.14.10.6766 - nVIDIA Detonator 67.66)
BIOS string version 4.28.20.21.00

Does anyone happen to know if this is outdated? I will check the nVIDIA website...

Thanks again..

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey there -

Also -

I looked on the web, and found information regarding the fact that my nvidia nforce2 chipset drivers WERE out of date. It was suggested that that could cause problems with communicating with the vid driver.

I did update the chipset, but am still experiecing the restarting...any further suggestions from this?

Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok how did you make out with memtest?

Could you go into bios and list your cpu temp reported there and any other temp that may be listed.

Also in bios list the voltages, I am especially interesred in the 12v, 3.3v and 5v.

Open Everast and then open the computer tree then click on overclock and list what it says under spd memory modules

You could also try lowering the video card to 4X instead of 8X while you are in bios to see if there is any improvement.

Rick

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you might also consider updating the system drivers. also from nvidia in your case.

The system driver includes a vga driver, which helps the system communicate with the video driver.

jjm006

jjm006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Rick -

Bunch of info for you..

From Bios:
(Temps in Fahrenheit)

AGP VDDQ = 1.5v
DDR Reference = 2.6
Motherboard = 75 degrees
CPU = 129 degrees
VCORE = 1.66v
+3.3V = 3.18v
+5v = 4.75v
+12v = 12.48v
CPU Fan Speed = 4500RPM

From Everest:
Field Value
DIMM1: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
Field Value
DIMM2: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

Some curious notes:

Whenever I get the bluescreen of death, I write down some of the errors or filenames that are referenced. Some that I have gotten recently are:
nv4_disp.dll
BAD_POOL_CALLER
nvapu.sys
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Also, recent developments:

Per earlier advise, I updated my chipset drivers, and found that they were indeed all old. I then updated my video drivers, which did update again. No noted improvements.

Thanks much....hope this helps with the d(x)!