Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amplifier/Receiver, Speakers, and a big TV

• Please log in to reply

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
my uncle just gave me 2 huge speakers, each have 60Watt, an amplifier/receiver should follow suit, i dont really wanna spend extra money on something i wont need, and i wont be buying new speakers for that price anytime soon, they are like $500 speakers each, he is giving me. i will only need 1 set of speakers, but more is ok if its an extra and wont effect price. i will need 3 plug socket majigies for the dvd player, vcr, and ps2. and maybe an extra 1 or 2, if again it doesnt effect price. any suggestions? new or old?

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking and how this relates to computer hardware. Do you want to have another go at stating your problem / asking your question?

We're happy to help if we know what the problem is :whistling:

Digikiwi

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
What i have:

1) Big screen T.V, its one of those new Samsung 43", with HD, an DNIe and DLP and yeah.

2) I have 2 big speakers that need to connect to an amplifier/receiver

3) HD-DVD Player

4) VCR

5) PS2

What i need:

1) Amplifier/Receiver

What the amplifier/receiver needs:

1) Minimum of 60Watts

2) supports 1 set of speakers, minimum

3) support dvd player, vcr, ps2

4) can be old or new

5) preferablly under $100 canadian

6) doesnt need to be amazing, just a basic amplifier/receiver, no need for an FM tuner or ANYTHING ELSE, JUST the receiver, i dont wanna spend much money on something i WONT use.

thanx in advance.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I'm sorry to say that I think you are barking up the wrong tree. This forum is for hardware problems with computers and the things that attach to them. I'd suggest you look on the Canadian version of ebay or do a google on home entertainment system forum or audio equipment or something similar.

However if you are trying to hook your computer up to this entertainment system you'll find people are happy to give you advice and help.

Good luck

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
yeah, i am gonna try to hook it up to my computer, the only thing i would need to replace the tv, is a tv tuner, and those switches for those wires that has L---R---Video. its like Orange-white-red

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
This IS THE CORRECT PLACE, anything hardware that doesnt fall in the other two sections goes in here and an amp would be peripheral so it goes in here but it doesnt matter where you are connecting it to and from.

You dont need all the connections you think you need, you dont hook all your media stuff to it individually you hook it all to the TV then hook the speakers amp up to the TV, amp wise though youre just gonna have to shop around as long as its a standard speaker set your not going to have a problem finding something you might even be cheaper buying a really cheap set of 5.1 and just ditching two of the speakers for yours.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for the point of correction Warriorscot, I humbly eat my words :blink: , having misunderstood the broadsweeping interpretation of "hardware" this forum takes. I'm curious as to what else "hardware" encompasses now but this thread is not the place to discuss it, I know.

Good luck with your media system trutechie. :whistling:

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well i dont want surround sound at all, im gonna be having surround sound on my comp from the logitech x-530, this is just for our big screen tv. now, my uncle has an amplifier that was purchased for $15,000, and each speaker is $3000, its not surround sound, but MAN the sound is so CRISP! its amazing, it blew me away! now i dont want an amplifier that expensive, im not that much of a sound freak, i just want good quality sound, and i no the ones on the tv are awful, so anything better than it would be fine. today im gonna head off to the store my uncle recommended Experimental Electronics, and see what i can get.