Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

no sound

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so i got a really bad virus on my comp. and so i had my friend delete my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. but i didnt have my disk or my key, so he used his disk and this other kids key. so the computer is fine now, but i have no sound. isnt sound cards and speakers automatically installed when you install windows? plus i keep getting these popups saying critical error go to www.fixregistryxp.com crap saying to buy this program. i don't know what the heck they are but i know they're not from windows and it must have something to do with a virus, though i have no files on my computer anymore. i tried to download directx and it said i don't have a legit copy of windows. im confused and frustrated and no nothing of computers. plus i think this [bleep] thing ruined my ipod. anyone know of anything i can do?!?

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Fallfromgrace89! Welcome to G2G!

I suggest you call the manufacturer of your computer (Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc...) and have them send you the recovery cd(s) for your computer. They may charge you a fee for these, but it's nothing compared to the cost of buying a complete new copy of Windows XP.

Also, DO NOT go to the website you stated in your previous post, because it is almost assuredly going to install some sort of Malware on your computer.

I would also contact your buddy and tell him that the copy of Windows XP he has is illegal and he shouldn't be using it on his own computer let alone installing it on his friend's computers. That just ain't right.