Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"My Computer" Acting Funny

• Please log in to reply

lukiegator

lukiegator

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello , over the past couple of days , "My Computer" has been acting funny. It takes longer than usual to open. I get a lot of Not Responding messages , and stupid little things like when I switch a CD , it does not update the title for the drive to the current disc.

Also , my CD's no longer autorun.

As for Media Player , it is havinga similar problem. When I change CD's , the disc will play correctly , but the playlist keeps the songs from the previous CD listed. And the rip option does not update either.

I am running XP Home and WMP 10. I have not made any changes or downloads of late.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
To check wether your CD still autoruns:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.
4. Restart your computer.

lukiegator

lukiegator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you. The autorun now works again and WMP seems to be functioning properly for now.

I don't know how it became disabled.

As far as My Computer , so far I have disabled WIA( I think that was it).

Would one problem effect the other?

Also , I found Powerreg Scheduler when I ran Panda. I have since deleted it. What exactly does that affect?

Would that have led to the problem? Would that affect things like internet connection or anything? Thanks again for helping.