Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart after adding memory

• Please log in to reply

boeaux

boeaux

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I don't know if I should be posting this here so I hope this is ok. I have a computer that is not mine but I am working on it. Its a Dell 8200 with windows XP. I just added more memory to it going from 128 to 384 however with the 384 the computer keeps restarting. I took out the 128 and left the 256 and ran it for two days with it only restarting once. As soon as I put the 128 which was the original memory it again begains to restart. Any ideas? Thanks

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Is the 256 stick the same speed as the 128 ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi boeaux...

It sounds like the memory modules are conflicting with one another. I'd replace the 128MB with another 256MB of the same type and brand as the current 256MB...but that's me... :whistling:

wannabe1