Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Closing ports

• Please log in to reply

Focus

Focus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I installed a program and configured my router to open port 25833. I had problems with the program so I uninstalled it. However my firewall, Zone Alarm, is showing attemps to enter this port and it is affecting my internet browsing. I went and took the port out of the router but i am still getting this port on my firewall saying someone is trying to get into my computer. How do I close this port?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You did not say what router you have. I am running a netgear router so i just access the router and delete the prot with the delete service button. I acces the router thru my browser by typing in the IP address( mine is http://192.168.0.1) .

If you have closed the port on the router then it makes me think they have installed a program on your computer and it is trying to access the internet. I would read the details in ZA to find out where its coming from. You might try deleting all your temp and temp internet files also. Double check that the port was closed on the router.

SRX660

Focus

Focus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You did not say what router you have. I am running a netgear router so i just access the router and delete the prot with the delete service button. I acces the router thru my browser by typing in the IP address( mine is http://192.168.0.1) .

If you have closed the port on the router then it makes me think they have installed a program on your computer and it is trying to access the internet. I would read the details in ZA to find out where its coming from. You might try deleting all your temp and temp internet files also. Double check that the port was closed on the router.

SRX660

Hi,

I am using Linksys RPT 300 Router. I did delete the port where the program was running but still had the hacking attemps. I also thought that a program was installed on the computer. Is there any way to find this program so I can delete it? In the mean time I went into the router and changed the IP address on the port to a fake one- this has stopped the access attemps. Also I went into Zone Alarm and all the attemps were from different IP addresses. I did empty all internet files.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Zone alarm would have told you what internal program was trying to access the internet so it seems that someone found the IP was good so they were trying different attacks. It is easy to fake the IP the attacks were coming from. If, by changing the IP, the attacks stopped i would not worry about it. Those kind of crackers don't spend too much time on a dead IP. A lot of these attacks originate from china. Guess they don't have much to do over there.

I do wonder why zone alarm wasshowing hits after you disabled the port, tho. Since i made a list of every file in a XP install i might look at the list and see if there were any files that were not on the list, if the attack was on me.

SRX660