Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus/Error - help please...

• Please log in to reply

markie76

markie76

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I have 3 hard drives in my PC

C: 60gb FAT32 - OS Boot (XP Pro Sp2)
D: 120gb FAT32 - document storage
F: 300gb NTFS - everything else

One evening I left the PC switched for about an hour while chatting to a neighbour (I think I left it logged onto the internet - I am behind a firewall/router). When I returned to it the desktop icons were showing the windows icon and there was no response to double clicks. It shut down ok but wouldn't boot up and produced an error along the lines of required files not found.

I managed to boot into a spare OS loaded on a separate HD and on looking at my hard drives which were recognised in the OS;

C: Directory structure intact, folders and subfolders intact, but all files showing as 0 bytes, zip files showing as 1k but extract to an empty folder.
D: Inaccessible.
F: Coming up with 'not formatted message'.

The drive capacities were being reported correctly but the used space was completely incorrect only about 5% of what it really was.

I tried some data recovery software on drives C & D which bought up the directory and folder structure but showed 0 byte files. On many files it displayed a 'modified on' date and time which was the data and rough time I left the PC unattended. I also tried the XP recovery console to fix the mbr and repair installation but no great success.

Can anyone tell me if I have been struck by a virus? If so which one?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Could be virus related.
It's always a good idea to check for virusses.
Follow the links on this forum to check your drives for virusses.
Are there 3 drives in that comp? Or are they partitioned to the sizes you presented?

markie76

markie76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

They are separate drives with single partitions.

Is there a particular virus scanner you recommend?

Mark.

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Look at the top of this page.

There is a link to check for virusses.
Besides that, there are plenty of free virusscanner on the net (AntiVir, AVG are common)
Also antispyware, -adware can be found on the net (I use Hitman Pro)

Greetz

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan